Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternate day f a s t i n g? page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Alternate day f a s t i n g?

Primal Fuel
    Thoughts? Benn doing a daily IF for about 15-16 hours a day. Nothing seems to be happening. Wondering if doing alternate day fasts would help this stubborn fat around my abs. Its the last fat to go and it's driving me crazy. Thank you in advance
    && It's not just about living well, it's about dying well.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    whats the daily caloric deficit and are you doing any refeeds?

fragileknees is offline Member
    +1 for killing stubborn fat!!!

Female here, stuck at 20-21% bodyfat for the past 3 months (5'4" muscular 140 lbs.). I do about 2 - 18 hr fasts a week. Little to no fruits, nuts, or dairy (mostly just meat, veggies, and fat). I tried 1 refeed a week, didn't seem to do anything. GRrrrrrrrrr. Wedding dress fittings in a month and I so wanted to make it down about 5 more pounds or a couple percent body fat!!

PLEASE TELL US!!! How did you loose the last little bit of abdominal fat?!?!?!?

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member
    sometimes you have to be pretty agressive to get rid of stubborn fat. I've figured out my formula and it seems to be working pretty well.

A lot of times it just comes down to people not doing enough activity during the last part of their fast...the sweet spot for burning stubborn fat. There's a really good post about this over at www.leangains.com
    I grok, therefore I am.

10-18 hrs is my sweet spot. I make sure to be active during this time. its hard because I work at a desk job. Every hour or so I get up and do jumps, or something to get my heart rate up, and increase fat oxidation from my body. the leaner you are, the more difficult it is to lose fat, so try to be patient with the last bit of fat on your abs....this is partly deep visceral fat too, and is the hardest to get off. it should come off very slowly, so try to find what works and just have the patience to not let slow progress stress you out.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-23-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I'm also a primal/lean gains hybrid as well and it's working well for me. My waist is getting close to 29 inches now and my lowest abs are very very close now. Granted, the pounds do not fly off like they did when I had a lot to lose anymore. I am making progress on both getting stronger and losing fat and I'm happy with my lifestyle.

if can add some low-impact cardio during the fast that would help. an hour walk or an easy 20-30 min jog, not too intense, because you dont want your body turning to your muscle for fuel.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I think I've been "over fasting", which is to say not eating when I'm actually hungry to adhere to some fasting schedule. the result being my mood going to crap.

of course people suck, so maybe it's just that.

I hate you.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I'm 36 hours into one of my alternate day fasts right now. I feel fine, light on my feet, strong and healthy. I woke up, mowed the backyard and washed the car before work. I slept a little too lightly but that's normal for me. I can't say that I highly recommend alternate day fasts for someone as lean as you Megan. This works for me because I have an enormous amount of weight to lose (which means I have fat to live off of that you don't).

I've known a few lean fit people who've done water fasts for a few days and certainly looked a little more cut for the effort, but they also seemed to quickly eat their way right back to where they started. I guess, you could try extending a fast overnight with no harm done. You may even benefit from it, but I would advise against making alternate day a habit for anyone looking to lose less than about 25% of their body weight. Patience is probably the best advice for you.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    I hate you.
    Chronic caloric restriction leads to anger
    Anger leads to hate
    Hate leads to suffering
    Suffering leads to satisfaction

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast