Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Currently underweight...please help! page

Avarim is offline Member

Currently underweight...please help!

Primal Fuel
    Hi...for about a month I have been eating almost primaly (including goat cheese, butter & ghee) Just doing it to improve some digestive issues and overall health...before going primal I ate pretty much the same (but less meat ) including grains like quinoa,some rice and some beans ..(Never touch wheat, veg. oils or sugar).
    The thing is I have almost lost 11 lbs, currently leaving me at 113 lbs , 5ī6, 6% bf..28 y/o male...although it may sounds scarry I do have some muscle (much less than I used to have)...my digestive issues have improved but I cannot continue to lose any more weight...need to gain desperately.
    Should I include waaay more starch tubers, squash, potatoes, etc with looots of fat? (it seem carbs mix with fat is the explosive gain weight combo) or should I tried the high carb/low fat/mod protein approach? (from good carbs obviously)
    I eat tons of fat (not coconut cause I just doesnt agree with me), donīt count calories, etc....
    What should I do???help pls!!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Eating more food overall will help, and yes, eat more carbs. Try to eat more nuts, fruits, sweet potatoes, carrots, and other higher carb type veggies. Don't go crazy though. Just start off by adding a little at a time until you see yourself gaining. Maybe add an extra piece of fruit or two each day for a week, and see how you do. If you are still losing, add some more. However, you probably need more protein and fat too. Add a little more to those categories as well.

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    keep your meals balanced and just eat way more of everything. fat, protein, good carbs. Get some exercise and most importantly lots of sleep. Your body puts on weight while you slumber.

Avarim is offline Member
    Thanks for the reply...I forgot to mention that I dont do well on nuts, fruits & eggs....should I give white rice a chance? or the HED diet ?(high everything diet)

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    primal HED

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    What is your exercise program like? Are you lifting heavy? Add an extra steak per day

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    while counting calories is not necessary for PB, I think you should keep a food journal for a week or two. Write down everything you eat and using an on-line nutrition tool, figure out how much calories you are getting and macro-nitrient breakdown.

From the sounds of it, you are not eating enough and your ratios are messed up
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Joe B is offline Member
    You are having the same problem that I am currently going through. Some people just cannot get in enough calories each day by listening to hunger levels alone (while eating primal), definitely doesn't work for me. Get on a schedule of eating, I know calories is what matters and not meal frequency, but for you (and I) skipping meals is not an option. I'd go with three meals to start, and yea using starchy tubers with butter and/bacon would be good, provides a good amount of calories and not as filling (space-wise) as vegetables. I agree with arthurb about the steak, in fact I'm having one for dinner

I also agree with Steve, use an online calculator like www.fitday.com to see how much you are eating, I use it to make sure I eat enough everyday; it's very helpful.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i have put on 10 lbs with primal eating. eat more protein(an excess) was the key in gaining for me and make sure you carbs are in excess. fat up or down seemed to not much impact my gaining

scdkat is offline Junior Member
    I agree with MalPaz, making sure you get plenty of protein is key. Carbs help but don't go overboard to the point that your digestion suffers. That and just eating more in general. It's taken a while for me to put on weight and I think most of that had to do with healing digestive issues first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast