Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientists identify the gluten proteins causing celiac disease page

Griff is offline Senior Member

Scientists identify the gluten proteins causing celiac disease

Primal Fuel
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

hw1178 is offline Member
    That's cool that they have identified the actual peptides involved with eliciting an immune response. It seems like they are excited about the discovery because this will allow them to design a drug that will inhibit this response. I have celiac disease and even if there were a pill available for me to take, I still wouldn't purposefully eat gluten. That's like eating poison and then immediately taking an antidote. I just don't see the point. The only time I would consider taking medication for gluten digestion is if I were eating out at a restaurant and I wanted some extra insurance against cross-contamination.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Oh, absolutely - but note that this finding adds weight to the idea that humans aren't supposed to eat that stuff in the first place.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

smhsailaway is offline Member
    Brilliant

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Nice. I can't way to get my gluten vaccination!

Cordain has already identified gliadin as a protein that harms everyone regardless of genetic predisposition

One of the most studied foods in the recent years is wheat, which contains a protein called gliadin, and is part of the gluten protein family22. Gliadin increases gut permeability by means of Zonulin production (a protein that regulates in tight junctions between cells in the wall of the digestive tract) in the gut enterocytes (epithelial cells found in the small intestines and colon). Zonulin binds the CXCR3 chemokine receptor leading to intracellular signalling cascades, mediated by protein kinase C (PKC), which ultimately causes disruption of the tight junction proteins which maintain the gut barrier function, and lead to increased gut permeability23, 24.
    In addition, when intestinal permeability is increased, gliadin - which is resistant to heat and digestive enzymes - is able to interact with gut associated lymphoid tissue (GALT) stimulating the innate immune system, leading to low-grade chronic inflammation22, 24. Several studies have demonstrated that gliadin induces the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (a small protein released by cells that has a specific effect on the interactions between cells, communications between cells or the behavior of cells), independent of one’s genetic predisposition to celiac disease – which is virtually everyone
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    Yes, that study was somehow horrifying and illuminating at the same time. We might actually, in the end, be capable of subsisting on grains if we have enough shots and vitamins and are crammed full of enough pharmaceuticals. Sounds yummy!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Instead of developing "a 'peptide-based' immunotherapy that aims to desensitise people with coeliac disease to the toxic effects of gluten" wouldn't it be better to develop tests for these culprit peptides so we know which other foods to avoid?

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    So called celiac "disease" is an end stage problem at the tail end of a chain of events involving the innate and then adaptive immune systems in the human body. It is a relatively less-common problem out of an large number of problems caused by wheat. One does not need to go to the end stage of a long chain of Rube Goldberg type events to find nasty problems with wheat.

Celiac is not the only source of intestinal damage as a result of wheat ingestion. Non-celiacs suffer significant intestinal damage from wheat germ agglutinin:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0000687

Since the damage from wheat germ agglutinin results from chemical bonding and does not involve the adaptive immune system, I doubt that some miracle drug is going to change that problem anytime soon.

It seems like every month more bad things about wheat emerge from the unfolding research. And the emerging evidence all seems to be going one direction, against wheat, none of the back and forth contradictions common in research.

Celiac "disease" in its most advanced and diagnosed form affects maybe 1% of the population. But 30% of the population will have antibodies to gliadin in advanced stool testing such as that done by Kenneth Fine, MD, at enterolab.com. And everyone will suffer from intestinal damage from wheat as a result of lectin binding. There are other problems with wheat that affect everybody, not just celiacs. In addition to a high glycemic index, it contains opioid peptides, has been linked to inhibiting Vitamin D metabolism, hinders formation of heat shock proteins, and triggers an inflammatory response (Interleukin 15) via the innate immune system. On the latter, see the BMJ article, "Is Giadin Really Safe for Non-celiac Individuals":

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1954879/

We haven't even scratched the surface in researching the problems that can be caused by wheat. Why? Because there are reportedly over 78,000 different proteins in a grain of bread wheat flour! Thousands are potentially bioactive.

The size of the bread wheat genome is about 16,000 megabases, which is more than five times larger than the human genome!

http://genomebiology.com/2002/3/5/REVIEWS/1013

"Bread wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) is an allohexaploid species containing three different ancestral genomes . . . The total wheat genome is in excess of 16,000 megabases in size . . . It is undoubtedly one of the largest and most complex genomes of all crop species. "

Why would bread wheat have such a huge genome and huge number of different proteins? Only a few of which have been studied and one linked to celiac "disease"? I think the answer is simple. Wheat doe not "want" to be eaten. But plants can't run away from predators. It evolved a huge number of compounds to cause adverse biological reactions in anything that eats it.

Raw wheat is completely inedible. But we humans learned how to cook it and disable some, but by no means all, of the adverse mechanisms it produces. Cooked wheat will keep a person from starving, and it is important as a human food for that reason only. But it will also produce lifelong medical problems on some level in everyone to some degree, and in celiacs in certain specific ways.

A pill to interfere with one adaptive immune response in celiacs won't stop all the other known adverse health impacts of wheat. Not to mention all the ones we don't know about yet. A pill won't make a bad food good.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 07-24-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Damn that's some good research, Paleo Man. Go go MDA research team . We on fire.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fascinating stuff Paleo Man. I am one of the ones who self-identified as wheat intolerant about 6 years ago. Because of my ancestry, people swear I cannot have the celiac gene. After an episode of dermatitis herpetiformis following a trip abroad (couldn't control the food as well), my doctor ordered a celiac panel which showed no antibodies, but some impaired B12 absorption. Refused the endoscopy and simply resumed being gluten free. I did notice before going primal that all versions of wheat, including essene bread, caused severe reactive hypoglycemia episodes in ways that no other carbs, including sugar do. Meanwhile, my physician brother thinks I'm crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast