Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scientists identify the gluten proteins causing celiac disease page 2

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Egoldstein View Post
    Fascinating stuff Paleo Man. I am one of the ones who self-identified as wheat intolerant about 6 years ago. Because of my ancestry, people swear I cannot have the celiac gene. After an episode of dermatitis herpetiformis following a trip abroad (couldn't control the food as well), my doctor ordered a celiac panel which showed no antibodies, but some impaired B12 absorption. Refused the endoscopy and simply resumed being gluten free. I did notice before going primal that all versions of wheat, including essene bread, caused severe reactive hypoglycemia episodes in ways that no other carbs, including sugar do. Meanwhile, my physician brother thinks I'm crazy.
    You and I were on about the same schedule, Egoldstein. When docs I consulted with couldn't explain my chronic rash and IBS and GI problems, I initiated an dietary elimination trial. Eliminating one food group at a time for two months. Wheat and gluten were the last thing I eliminated, and my longstanding rash and GI issues disappeared. They have not recurred, except with accidental exposures.

Early in the game I used a cheek swab and sent it for analysis to Kimball Genetics. The result showed that I had no DQ2 or DQ8 and could not be celiac.

Yet my reaction to accidentally consuming even a tiny bit of wheat appears to be due to an adaptive immune response, an IgG reaction, because my rash is delayed in onset - 24 to 36 hours post ingestion. Not an IgE allergic response. With my immune system recovered by being strictly off wheat, my rash reaction to a tiny gluten exposure is quite spectacular now, head to toe, and it lasts a couple of weeks. Good aversive conditioning.

There is a tendency toward idiopathic ataxia in my ancestry. We now know that this is "gluten ataxia" and it does not require DQ2 or DQ8 DNA, or even GI symptoms. Another good reason to avoid wheat and gluten, among many.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/...full/126/3/685

Conventional medicine as actually practiced in the trenches has a lot to learn about this.

Send your bro some of the medical journal links in my posts on this thread. If you are crazy you are in good scientific company.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    What about the wheat-grass as a juice let's say? It's been said it's VERY beneficial to human health. Opinions?

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    What about the wheat-grass as a juice let's say? It's been said it's VERY beneficial to human health. Opinions?
    Some say wheat grass is gluten free. Some say it may be contaminated by mature seeds and contain gluten and wheat germ agglutinin (WGA).

Even nanomolar quantities, extraordinarily small amounts, of WGA can cause inflammation and damaging penetration of intestinal tissues. I've got the full text of the following abstract, but can't post it due to copyright. It is well worth reading if you can get it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19332085

"At nanomolar concentrations WGA stimulates the synthesis of pro-inflammatory cytokines and thus the biological activity of WGA should be reconsidered by taking into account the effects of WGA on the immune system at the gastrointestinal interface. These results shed new light onto the molecular mechanisms underlying the onset of gastrointestinal disorders observed in vivo upon dietary intake of wheat-based foods."

I haven't seen any credible nutritional analysis or controlled study that convinces me that wheat grass actually contains any important nutrients that are substantially better in quality or quantity than can be obtained from other healthy greens. I doubt it has much gluten or WGA. Wheat grass has its enthusiastic promoters, as do other supposed superfoods. But whole wheat itself was once and still is in the category of being promoted as a cure-all superfood by many promoters. In the case of whole wheat, at least, they are dead wrong.
    Last edited by Paleo Man; 07-24-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Paleo man, haven't spoken to the brother, but your link to the PLos article got the hubby interested, giving him yet another reason to avoid wheat which he is just coming around to on his own under the weight of all of these studies I am forwarding. The inhibition of plasma membrane repair is quite major. Ugggh, just thinking of all the damage I've done in 3 decades of wheat eating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12