Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bacon Lovers vs. Soy Huggers: The Smackdown page

gini is offline Senior Member

Bacon Lovers vs. Soy Huggers: The Smackdown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Article from a dyed-in-the-wool vegetarian on which is better for the environment, eating meat or being a vegetarian. Some interesting points all around.
    http://motherjones.com/environment/2...he-environment

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Interesting points all around. Definitely makes me want to commit to being more sustainable; for me, that's in the form of grass-fed beef and pastured animals, etc.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    what i dislike about this kind of debate is that most people generally assume the current way of manufacturing meat is the only way to do it. Sustainable, organic, grass-fed beef - that doesn't fuck up the world. The issue here, as with almost everything in the food world is that it's all run by large corporations who have only one policy - maximum profits. It's the ultimate downfall of capitalism - it values only one thing - profits - whereas people have values besides only money. The system does not reflect our values. Unfortunately it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better IMO.

Change the way farms are run - from multinationals back to family-run farms and decent regulations and watch all that environmental destruction come to a screeching halt. You'll also see the end of super-cheap beef. And that is no bad thing.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Your only power against the people who run feedlots is what you do with your dollars.

If you can find local producers, and are willing to pay them enough that they can support themselves, every dollar changes the balance from soy/corn and all the rest of it to decent local pasture farms.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    Change the way farms are run - from multinationals back to family-run farms and decent regulations and watch all that environmental destruction come to a screeching halt. You'll also see the end of super-cheap beef. And that is no bad thing.
    I always considered raising the price of food and creating malnutrition a bad thing.

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    creating malnutrition? have you seen all the fatties and people walking around with chronic health problems out there - especially in the USA? Malnutrition's already a defacto standard, and nowhere more so than than the US.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    So raising the price of meat will help that?

jpatton624 is offline Member
    Oh my gooooddd the comments. Such an overload of brainwashed vegetarians denying every pro-meat claim (although I agree the dude's article wasn't very scientific), extolling the virtues of vegetarianism, and massively upvoting each others' comments.

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cemdev View Post
    what i dislike about this kind of debate is that most people generally assume the current way of manufacturing meat is the only way to do it. Sustainable, organic, grass-fed beef - that doesn't fuck up the world. The issue here, as with almost everything in the food world is that it's all run by large corporations who have only one policy - maximum profits. It's the ultimate downfall of capitalism - it values only one thing - profits - whereas people have values besides only money. The system does not reflect our values. Unfortunately it's going to get much, much worse before it gets better IMO.
    I too fear the days of Geidi Prime.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trapperjohnme View Post
    I always considered raising the price of food and creating malnutrition a bad thing.
    Feedlot beef is artificially cheap. Taxpayers subsidize them, for instance, to help the farms pay for giant manure storage contraptions so that the poisonous feedlot manure doesn't poison the surrounding groundwater. Get rid of the feedlot beef & you get rid of the subsidies, so taxpayers have more $$ in their pockets to begin with to buy their food.

EVERYone pays for feedlot beef, even though we don't see the price higher at the grocery store. Remember - the "low" price is artificially low; someone (you) is paying for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast