Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling flabby on paleo. Need help!

Feeling flabby on paleo. Need help!

Shop Now
    Hi guys. My name is Patrick and I'm new to the app. I weigh 204 lbs and am 5 foot 11 inches and very athletic. I do Crossfit roughly 5 times a week and some times mix in some extra cardio. Usually every year around this time I try to stay very strict to paleo for 3 months for a nice cleanse going into the summer season. This is my second week back on strict paleo and I'm feeling a little flabby and not tight. I've done paleo before and can never remember feeling this way. Am I not eating enough? Am I eating too much? PLEASE HELP. My daily food intake usually looks something like this -

Breakfast - 3 eggs and bacon
    Snack- a few handfuls of almonds or pistachios and an apple.
    Lunch- a medium kettle bell kitchen meal.
    Snack- more almonds and another Apple.
    Crossfit workout around 4:30pm daily
    Dinner- usually either red meat or chicken and lots of veggies. No starchy carbs

I always drink at least half of my weight in ounces of water per day.
    Am I not eating enough?

I look forward to all responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Actually, I'm surprised you had past successes if they were as you've described your current experience. Paleo/Primal is an integrated lifestyle, not a seasonal diet one (successfully) goes in and out of. I have no advice except to suggest you more deeply study what Paleo/Primal is.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Hey John,

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I've been paleo for the past 5 years but I usually get much more strict with it when I want to cut weight. I'd say when I'm not being strict, I'm still at about 80% paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by pval View Post
    Hey John,

I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. I've been paleo for the past 5 years but I usually get much more strict with it when I want to cut weight. I'd say when I'm not being strict, I'm still at about 80% paleo.

Ok. How long have you done Crossfit 5X per week? What is, and how often, is the extra cardio?

Been doing Crossfit 4-5 times per week for the past 5 years. Extra cardio consists of either 2-3 miles of running or hill sprints.

Quote Originally Posted by pval View Post
    Been doing Crossfit 4-5 times per week for the past 5 years. Extra cardio consists of either 2-3 miles of running or hill sprints.

Well, I was suspecting a cortisol link tied to overtraining, but if you've been doing the same things for 5 years, I've no basis to suggest that. Someone else, perhaps, has a better thought.

What about sleep, caffeine intake and stress level? How are each of those things as well as how are they in relation to how they were five years ago?

I do think it may be overtraining, to which your body has slowly developed an intolerance. I'd also drop the nuts in favor of something less inflammatory, and add a potato or yam to dinner - there might be a tiny bit of water weight for the first couple of days, but it won't last.

Do you get lots of salt with all of that water intake? Adrenals need salt! You should also be supplementing magnesium if you aren't already. Natural Calm at night is great.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Hey Jen,

I get at least 8 hours of sleep on a nightly basis. Usually 2 cups of coffee a day with a tablespoon of cream in each.

No supplements at all. I'm hoping the feeling will go away, given that it's only the second week of 100% strict. I feel strong and lean at the gym but I'm wondering if I'm not taking in enough calories per day. Thank you for the advice on the almonds/pistachios.

It's great that your sleep is dialed in. I agree with your plan to increase your calories. I do think that you should be supplementing Magnesium, though - especially with that much physical activity.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Shop Now
    Ok great. Thank you for responding to my post!