Thread: My brain fog; either candida or lack of exercise page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Question My brain fog; either candida or lack of exercise

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys, I'll cut to the chase and say that I've had brain fog for at least 4 years (17, male) that does not seem to want to lift no matter what I try. I'm fully primal in all regards; I'm eating right, supplementing, getting plenty of sleep, etc. I need to pick up on my exercise habits, which I'm working on (I'm far too sedentary), so perhaps reduced blood flow to the brain is a potential cause for the fog (I've been researching all sorts of causes for brain fog, and I've narrowed it down to either candida or lack of exercise).

The reason I suspect that I have candida is because of my background. As a kid I ate plenty of junk food, complimented with potatoes and other high-GI foods at dinner. Breakfast and my before-bed meal was usually a nice bowl of Weetabix (with added sugar, of course). I had no bad symptoms until I started having the fog when I was around 14-15. Usually, this was down to having late nights (as you do as a teen) and being forced to get up early for school (sleeping in didn't exactly make things better, though), so all I had to do was go to bed earlier, and I would wake up bright-eyed, happy, completely clear-headed and fully alert. Man, it felt good. Unfortunately, this doesn't work anymore; my sleep isn't the culprit, so it boiled down to either my diet or exercise habits.

When I made the change to eating primally, the first month was a complete nightmare. The cravings were insane and I was finding the change unbearable. Still, I pushed through and within 2 months the cravings completely subsided, and hunger has been largely reduced ever since. My single disappointment was the fact that my brain fog not only stayed, but made no noticeable improvement.

Many people say that their fog comes and goes at different times of the day, or when they eat certain foods. However, in my case my brain fog is 'permanent' in the sense that it never, ever leaves, nor does it seem to fluctuate in severity in any way whatsoever. It's just 'there', constantly. There are some extremely rare occasions (usually during sleep or a nap) when my fog lifts a very small amount for a very short space of time (about half a second). It's not noticeable or substantial, but it's something to be aware of.

Another reason that I suspect that I have candida is because of previous use of antibiotics. I've taken repeated courses (3 or 4) of Tetracycline tablets for my acne, with each course varying in duration but adding up to at least a year of antibiotic use. I have also taken Dr. Crook's candida questionnaire and have gotten a score of 7, meaning that it's probable that I have candida.

My main question is, if I do in fact have candida, what should I do about it? My diet's already taken care of, so should I just start taking the probiotic lactobacillus acidophilus (3 billion active cultures per capsule) and exercise more?

Thanks for any advice!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Candida is nothing more than one's body not having enough zinc and vitamin d (and possibly other co-factors) for optimal immune function. When the immune system can't keep in check various mircro-organisms, one or more will overgrow leading to candida or c diff infection or numerous other problems.
    Some things to cosider:

How much zinc are you getting?
    How much D from supplements and sun?
    What is your 25(OH)D level?
    Are you getting midday sun? How often?
    How much Mg and K (potassium) are you getting from food and supplements?
    How much exercise are you getting? Lifting heavy things?
    (ah never mind, just saw your answer there....this is huge for brain function. See Daniel Amen's books and John Ratey's book)
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...1.79_98&fsc=20
    http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Revoluti...9887512&sr=8-1

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Candida is a fungus. When people undergo anti-biotic treatments, that fungus and others usually gain a foothold in the body because the usual fungi with which we have a symbiotic relationship was killed off by the anti-biotic and the deleterious fungi, such as candida, take advantage of the available living space left in the body. This leads to many problems, which only get worse with time. Many diseases typically called 'old age' diseases are actually the result of the mycotoxins accumulating in our bodies.

Please check the website www.knowthecause.com and start the phase one diet that is described there. If things look good in three weeks, after a bad first week, then you will know the cause----fungus.

Basically, the diet is akin to the PB diet, but there are fewer foods permitted. Especially fruits--except for a few---and dairy must be eliminated. That and the elimination of sugars and grains called for in the PB diet.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    Candida is a fungus. When people undergo anti-biotic treatments, that fungus and others usually gain a foothold in the body because the usual fungi with which we have a symbiotic relationship was killed off by the anti-biotic and the deleterious fungi, such as candida, take advantage of the available living space left in the body. This leads to many problems, which only get worse with time. Many diseases typically called 'old age' diseases are actually the result of the mycotoxins accumulating in our bodies.

Please check the website www.knowthecause.com and start the phase one diet that is described there. If things look good in three weeks, after a bad first week, then you will know the cause----fungus.

Basically, the diet is akin to the PB diet, but there are fewer foods permitted. Especially fruits--except for a few---and dairy must be eliminated. That and the elimination of sugars and grains called for in the PB diet.
    +1 i followed this protocol a few years ago. it definitely works! keep your fruit intake LOW and restricted to berries;-)
    my brain fog lifted like a week into that diet. i was walking around in a grocery store and it was like someone turned on the lights. amazing!!!!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for the late reply!

cillakat;

I live in London, and summer here has been random with the weather (that's England for you..). At first the sun was beaming constantly for a few weeks; nowadays it's cloudy and sometimes you barely see the sun anymore. I got plenty of sun while I could with at least an hour's worth of exposure (especially in the afternoon), with no sunblock or any of that stuff. I don't supplement with Vitamin D because the shop where I usually purchase supplements (Holland and Barrett) have very small amounts of the vitamin in even their largest varieties (25ug / 1000iu max. per day). As for Zinc, I used to get 15mg per day through a super chelated multi-mineral formula, but I ran out of that quite a while ago (I'll restock ASAP!). The same supplement also had; 99mg Mg; 275mg K.

I'm not sure what 25(OH)D level is, let alone what my level is, so I'm afraid I can't say anything more on that. I don't keep track of my nutrient intake, I just keep my diet as balanced as possible and cover everything with supplements. I don't lift heavy things in terms of weights, but I tend to do bodyweight exercises whenever possible. Push-ups, burpees, crunches, squats, that sort of thing.

Seeing as you seem to be very knowledgeable about vitamin D, cillakat, would you mind telling me how long it takes to correct a chronic deficiency, ie. how long it takes for symptoms to subside? I know there are a vast amount of possible symptoms, but what would be a good average in terms of weeks/months for optimum vitamin D levels, if I had at least an hour's worth of exposure to the sun in midday?

periquin and shannon;

Thanks for the link and tips, however I actually have very little sugar (just low-carb veggies!) and absolutely no dairy or grains. I don't cheat unless it's a special occasion or something, like a slice of cake for someone's birthday. Apart from that, I have no trouble in staying away from the bad stuff. I rarely eat fruits either, simply out of choice if anything. Unfortunately, this approach has done nothing for my fog; it's neither better or worse. The consistency of it's severity is what really confuses me!

Thanks for your help!

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have a look at my linked doc below then we'll talk D

Thanks for the link and tips, however I actually have very little sugar (just low-carb veggies!) and absolutely no dairy or grains. I don't cheat unless it's a special occasion or something, like a slice of cake for someone's birthday. Apart from that, I have no trouble in staying away from the bad stuff. I rarely eat fruits either, simply out of choice if anything. Unfortunately, this approach has done nothing for my fog; it's neither better or worse. The consistency of it's severity is what really confuses me!
    Yeah, this is a nutritional issue either way.

Potassium(K), mg, vitamin d and zinc. The chelated formula you were using has an irrelevant amount of mg and K.

Read the D doc though then let's chat.

K
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-29-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: context; clarity

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order