Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buckwheat crepes page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

buckwheat crepes

I've just been looking at the recipe for buckwheat crepe on Stephan's "Who;e Health Source" and it looks great. If it isn't a grain, has no gluten, and the phytic acid can be removed, surely eating this once in a blue moon would be OK? Has anyone tried these?

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I want to try these as i need a carb source to vary my diet. Cant have too many potatoes of both kind due to gut problems, and oxalate concerns. So i want to make these for breakfast occasionally and bread substitute. I can only seem to get acces too buckwheat kernels, are these the same as buckwheat groats, anyone know?

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    AFAIK, they are the same. I've only ever used buckwheat groats after I've soaked them overnight and then rinsed them really well.

Thanks for your reply, i had flour but you cant do the rinsing part of it which i read is crucial so i need to start from the very beginning. I will try the kernels and follow chris kessers receipe. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Thanks for your reply, i had flour but you cant do the rinsing part of it which i read is crucial so i need to start from the very beginning. I will try the kernels and follow chris kessers receipe. Thanks!
    You could soak the flour in either yogurt or kefir overnight to do the phytic acid removal bit, then proceed with the recipe. I much prefer the idea of that to mushing soaked groats in a processor!

Nutrition data profile of buckwheat

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Buckwheat flour, whole-groat

Just look at all of those B vitamins and minerals!! MUST cook those crepes....

paul900 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Nutrition data profile of buckwheat

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Buckwheat flour, whole-groat

Just look at all of those B vitamins and minerals!! MUST cook those crepes....

You shouldn't eat buckwheat due to the lectin content

I ended up finding some organic buckwheat groats at my local market. Went for it and bought a kilo. Did the receipe as per stepfans website, and just by doing all that i could see how necessary all the processing is as you extract alot of slimy and foamy/cloudy water out of it and give the groats a good rinse. I just feel like i am making it more edible and nutritious just by seeing what comes out. Got the batter fermenting at the minute, look forward to the crepes and will make it time to time. I like the nutritional profile, magnesium and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by paul900 View Post
    You shouldn't eat buckwheat due to the lectin content
    I've googled lectins as a result of your post and everything I've read confirms your viewpoint! Seems that Chris Kresser and Stephan Guyenet will eat fermented buckwheat, but overall, I have to say you have persuaded me that it is best to ignore lectin conatining foods where possible.

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    I want to try these as i need a carb source to vary my diet. Cant have too many potatoes of both kind due to gut problems, and oxalate concerns. So i want to make these for breakfast occasionally and bread substitute. I can only seem to get acces too buckwheat kernels, are these the same as buckwheat groats, anyone know?
    My apologies for barging in like this, but have you considered fruit? I don't know how limited your ability to consume potatoes is (or your tolerance for fructose), but you might want to consider adding in some more fruit. Bananas have quite a bit of carbs, as do pomegranates, and even apples, kiwis, and oranges provide a decent amount (~15g/fruit). It's not exactly a ton, but with other primal sources of starch and sugar (including veggies), it should get you close to the 100-150g range.

Parsnips are another option into which you might want to look.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast