Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buckwheat crepes page 2

zizou is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    My apologies for barging in like this, but have you considered fruit? I don't know how limited your ability to consume potatoes is (or your tolerance for fructose), but you might want to consider adding in some more fruit. Bananas have quite a bit of carbs, as do pomegranates, and even apples, kiwis, and oranges provide a decent amount (~15g/fruit). It's not exactly a ton, but with other primal sources of starch and sugar (including veggies), it should get you close to the 100-150g range.

Parsnips are another option into which you might want to look.
    Came in here to post about my end result, but i'll reply to you first

Unfortunately, i don't react well with fructose, read fructose malabsorption, so once again unfortunately, i can't dig into the fruits as much as i'd like to. Ideally i'd thrive off meat,fat and fruits with root veggies aswell.

The good news however is, i have been seeing impressive tolerance to sweet potato, with the purplish skin but white flesh. It is definitly less sweet i feel, and mroe starchy. They actually taste like chestnut... i had bout 3 yesterday cooked in open fire charcoal in it's own skin, one word on the taste, unbelievable. Believe me i'm getting sick of pumpkin and parnips, even though they are so nice and tasty, but little variety doesn't hurt. Thanks for your input though

Now onto the buckwheat pancakes, well tbh they have come out a success. The thing i loved most about it, is that it tastes like sourdough buckwheat. I like the taste of buckwheat, and to have the sourdoughy after taste is a mix to enjoy. I think i've found my 'pita bread' replacement, as i didn't really feel like i was eating a pancake, which is good. Didn't add anything to batter other then the blended buckwheat groats, water and salt.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Lots of foods contain lectins. A short list of the "worst offenders" includes eggs, nightshades, beans, nuts, cereal grains, and dairy. If you're really worried about lectins, then you should be looking to eliminate those as well.

But: this is part of why you soak and cook the buckwheat. Otherwise, yes, it would not be very good for you.

We have buckwheat pancakes once a week. I soak them in yogurt for a minimum of 12 hours. We have no digestive issues when we eat them, and they're damn tasty; can't say the same for anything wheat-based anymore, which seems to stop me up like quick-setting concrete.

Now, as much as I love these, I wouldn't want to eat them more than once a week. They're high carb and they're a lot of calories for little nutritional return on the investment. If I were a more active person looking to ramp up my carbs, though, I could see how they could be a great food source to add to my diet.

I think this recipe is much improved from the original:
    http://chriskresser.com/sourdough-bu...-even-fluffier

If you're asking "is it primal?" the answer is -- probably not really. I make it part of my 20%, though, and I would take it over a wheat pancake any day.

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zizou View Post
    Came in here to post about my end result, but i'll reply to you first

Unfortunately, i don't react well with fructose, read fructose malabsorption, so once again unfortunately, i can't dig into the fruits as much as i'd like to. Ideally i'd thrive off meat,fat and fruits with root veggies aswell.

The good news however is, i have been seeing impressive tolerance to sweet potato, with the purplish skin but white flesh. It is definitly less sweet i feel, and mroe starchy. They actually taste like chestnut... i had bout 3 yesterday cooked in open fire charcoal in it's own skin, one word on the taste, unbelievable. Believe me i'm getting sick of pumpkin and parnips, even though they are so nice and tasty, but little variety doesn't hurt. Thanks for your input though

Now onto the buckwheat pancakes, well tbh they have come out a success. The thing i loved most about it, is that it tastes like sourdough buckwheat. I like the taste of buckwheat, and to have the sourdoughy after taste is a mix to enjoy. I think i've found my 'pita bread' replacement, as i didn't really feel like i was eating a pancake, which is good. Didn't add anything to batter other then the blended buckwheat groats, water and salt.
    I figured you'd probably have thought of those before, but I thought I'd take a chance, just in case.

I'm glad you found some stuff that you can eat without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Lots of foods contain lectins. A short list of the "worst offenders" includes eggs, nightshades, beans, nuts, cereal grains, and dairy. If you're really worried about lectins, then you should be looking to eliminate those as well.
    Grain-fed dairy and eggs, you mean? Always remember that what goes into your food also comes out of it and studies tend to be done with grain-fed animal products. I'm sure that there are some levels of lectins in grass-fed dairy and eggs, but I seriously doubt it comes anywhere near the danger zone of lectins.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoaNut View Post
    Grain-fed dairy and eggs, you mean? Always remember that what goes into your food also comes out of it and studies tend to be done with grain-fed animal products. I'm sure that there are some levels of lectins in grass-fed dairy and eggs, but I seriously doubt it comes anywhere near the danger zone of lectins.
    Dunno. Mark doesn't specify. I can't assume either way.

Nearly EVERYTHING contains lectins. You should evaluate how a food makes you feel based on your consumption of it, not on a data point that may or may not apply to you.

I also can't find a chart of lectin levels, despite employing my googlefu. If anyone has that list (Mark's article has a link to an abstract, but it's by no means a conclusive or exhaustive list), it'd be great to see it. All that said: what I have found indicates that lectins are reduced by soaking, fermentation, and cooking. Which is exactly what you're doing with the buckwheat when you soak it in chlorine-free water or yogurt.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    [url=http://www.marksdailyapple.com/lectins/#axzz29KlK6hGm]

We have buckwheat pancakes once a week. I soak them in yogurt for a minimum of 12 hours. We have no digestive issues when we eat them, and they're damn tasty; can't say the same for anything wheat-based anymore, which seems to stop me up like quick-setting concrete.

I think this recipe is much improved from the original:
    http://chriskresser.com/sourdough-bu...-even-fluffier

If you're asking "is it primal?" the answer is -- probably not really. I make it part of my 20%, though, and I would take it over a wheat pancake any day.
    Do you soak whole buckwheat groats, or do you use flour to soak in the yogurt?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    Do you soak whole buckwheat groats, or do you use flour to soak in the yogurt?
    I soak whole groats a minimum of 12 hours in yogurt. Then I rinse them very thoroughly, put them in a blender, and add additional (fresh) yogurt to puree them.

It helps that I own a Vitamix, which makes very short work of the groats.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12