Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking issue? Would this be safe to eat? page

tarek is offline Senior Member

Cooking issue? Would this be safe to eat?

Shop Now
    Alrighty, so I just broiled a fillet of salmon. While it was broiling, I stir-fried some vegetables. I make this regularly, but I did things a little differently this time, and I'm not sure if the results are good to eat.

Normally, I broil my fish in olive oil, and I normally I stir-fry veggies in coconut oil. This comes out perfect on most occasions. This time, however, I broiled the salmon in coconut oil, and I stir-fried the veggies in butter. By the time everything finished cooking, my entire kitchen smelled (and still does smell) like burning crayons. Haha. While I was broiling the salmon, it was smoking a LOT more than the salmon I broil in olive oil. Everyone in my house was literally coughing after it came out. There is also an "off" taste to everything I made.

What do you guys think? Should I throw this out?
    Last edited by tarek; 07-22-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Should be fine. I'd eat it. Of course I never throw anything away either.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    ...what on earth? Did you... put water in the broil pan?? LOL

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    I have no idea why it would smell like crayons. Have you tasted it? If it was me, I would taste it and judge from there.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

strom is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like your heat was too high for the coconut oil. You have to use a medium to lower heat to cook in it, to prevent smoking.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarek View Post
    While I was broiling the salmon, it was smoking a LOT more than the salmon I broil in olive oil.
    According to whoever contributed data to Wikipedia, the smoke point for coconut oil is 177 degrees, that for olive oil 190 degrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooking...haracteristics

Maybe it's down to your not paying attention to the grill. It was hotter than usual or the food was closer than usual. But why put salmon under the grill anyway? I'd have thought it was more easily cooked and probably more tender when cooked in a paper parcel in the oven - no grill pan to clean either. Or you could cook it in a frying pan - it's probably more easy to control the heat with a ring on a cooker and you can even temporarily move a pan off the heat and then back. Or there's poaching in a court bouillon. Again the food will be tenderer - just google "court bouillon poached salmon".

nzllama is offline Junior Member
    Put out a bowl of vinegar and light an unscented candle. It will help with the smell.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I believe coconut oil can tolerate heat better than olive oil? So I'm guessing it's the butter. Whichever...I'd eat it. No way would I throw out a hunk of salmon, unless I dropped it in the toilet or something.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I believe coconut oil can tolerate heat better than olive oil? So I'm guessing it's the butter. Whichever...I'd eat it. No way would I throw out a hunk of salmon, unless I dropped it in the toilet or something.
    Not your bag?

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Sounds like your heat was too high for the coconut oil. You have to use a medium to lower heat to cook in it, to prevent smoking.
    This is actually correct probably. A few days ago I placed some coconut oil in a frying pan and preheated it on high. I always do this but usually just for about 2 minutes. Well, I forgot this time and it started to smoke quite a bit!!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast