Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pan Searing steak question...

Pan Searing steak question...

Shop Now
    I like to pan sear ribeyes and finish them in the oven in the winter.
    I do not like to use oil though. I use ghee or butter as I find ghee is a healthy alternative with the highest smoke point.

this might be a dumb question but when do add the ghee?.. before I heat up the pan or after the pan gets hot?

When you see a chef cook a steak with oil in a pan when do they add the oil?

The classic advice is to add the oil/butter after the pan gets hot. From what I've read though, there's no real difference between the two techniques though, except in two circumstances.

If you're using a non-stick pan, always heat it with something on it, because of the fumes. Though I'd recommend dropping the Teflon and getting a cast iron pan.

If you're going to use very hot temperatures, you want the oil to be exposed to the heat for a minimal amount of time, so add the oil after the pan has heated.

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Anyone who cooks a steak in a flat pan should be shot. It's a Crime Against Cows.

If you have to cook stove top, use a ribbed pan. No oil needed, and the end result is scrumpaliscous. Just like on a grill. It has to do with the fats being able to drop away, and water vapors not steaming the meat as with a flat pan.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    Anyone who cooks a steak in a flat pan should be shot. It's a Crime Against Cows.

If you have to cook stove top, use a ribbed pan. No oil needed, and the end result is scrumpaliscous. Just like on a grill. It has to do with the fats being able to drop away, and water vapors not steaming the meat as with a flat pan.
    The Gordon Ramsay method never lets me down! The pan or pan/oven finish is how 99 percent of steaks are cooked in restaraunts. Unless you are going to a BBQ place

but either way..I dont have a ribbled pan right now. I have a nice seasoned vintage cast iron though

Do I add my ghee/oil after the pan is heated or when I start heating? Or does it matter..

you don't need any added oil to cook a steak.

for other foods, heat the pan then add your cooking fat.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

It's true, a steak doesn't need added oil.

I sear my steaks using a cast iron pan, without oven finishing them. People who swear by other steak cooking styles and have been reluctant to try my method have gone on rants after trying my steaks about how good they are compared to how they thought they would be. One roommate refused to try my pan seared steaks for months, then after trying one he said he had wasted all of his previous steaks by grilling them, hehe.

So if i season the steak with just salt and pepper and put no oil in the cast iron pan It wont stick like crazy?

What exactly is your method abyss? Medium? High heat?

I let the steak sit on the counter for half an hour or so. Close to cooking time I'll rub in salt and pepper on both sides. I heat the pan on medium, dry, and flick a drop of water on the pan to see if it's hot enough. The water should dance. I lay the steak on, being careful to position it well on the first try. I sear it for however many minutes depending on the thickness of the steak and the preference of the eater, flip sides, cook the same amount of time, then pick it up with tongs and sear the edges as well. Not multiple minutes per edge, but enough that there's a visual change.

If you're using a good pan then the steak won't stick when it's seared. It WILL stick before it's seared though, so you don't want to move the steak before that's happened

I prefer my steaks rarer so I only cook a few minutes per side, but I don't have a hard and fast rule for this many minutes for this level of doneness for this thickness, sorry. It's a bit intuitive at that point. Being on medium heat instead of high, it's easier to err on the side of longer cooking for those who prefer medium doneness.

Let sit for half the time it took to cook, then enjoy!

with searing any food, it will release easily when the surface is seared. if it sticks it's not ready or you have a piece of shit pan.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Shop Now
    On any pan noodletoy? I have stainless steel and cast iron.... not a fan of the teflon..

Im kinda new to cooking my own steaks and stuff I usually would just eat out or just bake chicken or fish in the oven.

hmm ill have to try this out tonight, I was always under the impression you needed to add something to make it not stick.. I would really like to not have to use anything!