Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb/Fiber daily total help

Carb/Fiber daily total help

Shop Now
    I have celiac disease and I'm battling SIBO, adrenal fatigue (waiting on the medication to ship from India) and constipation/gas/bloating...which I think has gotten worse since going paleo. I'm wondering what the recommendation is for carb intake for a female who is athletic, I get in an hour of moderate cardio every morning (keeps me balanced and its not intense), weight lift once a week at home, backcountry/alpine skier, mountain bike, hike on most weekends. I understand I should minus the fiber content of foods to figure out the total number of carbs I'm eating in a day...is this accurate?

Is it best that the carbs come from quinoa/rice/lentils vs. berries/fruit (limited with SIBO anyway) can't do potatoes with SIBO/low fodmaps yet.

so, my question is should my carb intake be at least 100-150 AFTER I minus the Fiber? Looking at carb totals now with daily plate it is at that level with just the fruits and veggies I eat but that does not count for fiber. I'm trying to get this all sorted out because I don't want my performance to continue to struggle with my sports before I start this round of treatment with the money I'm investing I really want to be spot on with my diet. If someone can help me with those totals that would be great. Thanks!

with you being in the states and the meds coming from india, are you self-diagnosing all this? what are you eating now? why do you want t go low-carb? you're very active, so i don't think 100 gms of carbs is going to fuel you properly. you say your activities are "not intense", but you may want to consider swapping in some yoga or long slow walks instead for awhile -- especially if you suspect adrenal fatigue.

how are your sleep and stress?

magnesium citrate will help with your constipation. you may want to look into something like ashwagandha for your adrenal issues, depending on what else you are taking.

have you tried adding gelatin to your diet? either from bone broth or powdered? collagen helps build collagen, i.e., your gut. foods like oysters have lots of zinc which helps to build collagen too.

the quinoa and the rice are pretty empty, so i'd look more at lentils and other legumes. are there other tubers you can have -- yucca, tarro, sunchokes? what about plantains or green bananas?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Please don't take the meds from India. When I was diagnosed with SIBO my doctor specifically told me NOT to take the meds from India. They are not pure - they add fillers that could potentially make you sicker than you already are. Especially if you have celiac!

PLEASE -- I know you've paid for the meds - but don't take them!

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Please don't take the meds from India. When I was diagnosed with SIBO my doctor specifically told me NOT to take the meds from India. They are not pure - they add fillers that could potentially make you sicker than you already are. Especially if you have celiac!

Sounds like unsubstantiated fear mongering to me. Do you know how many pills sold be Big Pharma come from India? Or one of many other countries? I've never had a problem buying meds internationally online.

It's like American dentists saying that Mexican and other third world dentists aren't good. Well, many thousand of Americans can vouch that they are as skilled as American dentists, they get the same training. If you want lots of fancy facilities and formality, stick to American dentists. If you want good work at low prices, I recommend Mexico.

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    OP, Atkins recommended the subtraction of fiber from total carbs. But we know more now that we did then. A lot of fiber still winds up being digested, thus they aren't free carbs. The trick is, to know what food does what, but the problem is, we really don't know. Look at the surprise discovery of resistant starches in the 1980's and ongoing research. Lentils' carbs seem to be all RS or something, as one source says, "very slow to digest." Sound like RS to me. I can eat a cup of lentils and the glucometer barely bumps.

Count your carbs as indicated, no net stuff.

It sounds like your lifestyle would have no trouble going 150-200, especially if mostly from whole foods.

I tried the standard food restriction and natural microbe-killing approach, and nothing seemed to make much of a difference in my digestive problems. What made my laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) go away seems to have been getting a fitness tracker and walking 10k+ steps per day. My guess is that the increase in slow movement increased gut motility. I've done some reading about the vagus nerve and the migrating motor complex and found additional recommendations for increasing gut motility.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheBayou View Post
    Sounds like unsubstantiated fear mongering to me. Do you know how many pills sold be Big Pharma come from India? Or one of many other countries? I've never had a problem buying meds internationally online.

It's like American dentists saying that Mexican and other third world dentists aren't good. Well, many thousand of Americans can vouch that they are as skilled as American dentists, they get the same training. If you want lots of fancy facilities and formality, stick to American dentists. If you want good work at low prices, I recommend Mexico.
    prescription pills manufactured abroad for american companies have quality standards to which they must adhere. rando companies selling "meds" via the internet do not. for anything that normally requires a prescription i would not consume "meds" i bought on the internet regardless of country of origin.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Everyone, I am working with a functional wellness doctor and registered dietician who is certified in the SIBO protocol as well. She has found this pharmacy and has done her due diligence. Otherwise, insurance won't cover it and its $900...I can't afford that. I'm following her specific recommendations and as a dietician working with her as well on the adrenal fatigue. She knows more than I do about nutrition which was a rarity in all the dieticians I've worked with as I've been sick for SO long. Just need the fiber/carb and fruit advice. Sorry to bother ya with those details. Thanks!!

And a GI doctor as well, the pharmacy is in Canada and does require a prescription.

Shop Now
    The standard method in low carb diets is to subtract fiber for a "net carbs" approach. That approach seems to work, so there's no reason to change it up. Since you're very active, you may undershoot considerably if you don't subtract the fiber.

As for sources, it seems like a lot of athletes here use rice as a carb source to fuel their workouts. With white rice, there's hardly any fiber, so you won't need to worry about net carbs.