Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Gelatin to Coffee and Such

Adding Gelatin to Coffee and Such

Shop Now
    Hey there. So I've been reading about the benefits of gelatin here and elsewhere, and I noticed that some people put it in their coffee. I've also read that it has to be "bloomed" in cold liquid before using it.

So do you do you have to bloom a small amount of it every time you put it in your coffee, or can you bloom a batch of it and just keep cubes of it around for adding to things? I personally like that idea, but I can't find any info about how long bloomed gelatin lasts, or if it needs to be refrigerated, so I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

I know it doesn't take very long or anything, but I'll be more likely to do it first thing in the morning if there's less thinking involved =P

Any advice in that area would be appreciated.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

Why not Jell-O and eat it with your morning coffee instead of putting the powder in the coffee? Make it the night before and eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner...
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

- Schopenhauer

Jell-O doesn't really appeal to me--I prefer the idea of "hiding" the gelatin in other things.

(Red Dwarf)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    Jell-O doesn't really appeal to me--I prefer the idea of "hiding" the gelatin in other things.
    Regular gelatin will add a strange texture to a beverage no matter how it's done, you might want the hydrolyzed kind which requires no prep
    37//6'3"/185

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Well, powdered gelatin is what I have on hand right now so I'd rather use that.

(Red Dwarf)

It doesn't take long to bloom one or two tablespoons of powdered gelatin. I do it regularly in the morning- just put 2 tablespoons of cold water in my coffee mug, sprinkle one or two tablespoons of gelatin and it is bloomed before I even put away the spoon and the can of gelatin. Pour hot coffee over it, stir and it is ready

Is that all the water you need? I was thinking it was more than that and you had to let it sit for 10 minutes.

I guess I can just do your way. It's already bullet-proof coffee so it already takes extra work anyway =P
    Last edited by Cyborcat; 02-21-2016 at 01:16 AM.

(Red Dwarf)

1 tablespoon of "regular" gelatin is enough to gel 2 cups of liquid. you better drink pretty quickly.

fwiw, i use hydrolyzed gelatin in my tea. just sprinke it in, no fuss... a few tablespoons per day.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Well, I tried it and it didn't change the consistency of the coffee, so yay. I couldn't even tell it was in there. I ended up using less gelatin than piggy suggested, tho.

Honestly, I got a bit impatient last night and ended up trying the idea I had in mind. I went ahead and mixed a packet of gelatin with 1/4 cup of water in a little container, then once it was solid, I cut it into 4 pieces which I put in a little bag in the fridge, then this morning I put one of the pieces in my coffee. On the back of the box it said that there are 4 servings per packet, which would equal something like 2/3 of a teaspoon. So using less than what piggy suggested might be why the consistency didn't change.

But in the future, I might try to use that amount and see what happens.

(Red Dwarf)

Shop Now
    did it melt into the coffee? if so, then that's a good trick. it's just a very small amount of gelatin -- not really enough as a serving for supplemental use.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway