Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deodorant recommendations? page

waxleaves is offline Member

Deodorant recommendations?

Primal Fuel
    Summer is in full swing here in Seattle, and the Crystal Stick is not working out. It was great when the weather was still cooler, but now it's pretty much completely ineffective.

I'm looking for a deodorant, not an antiperspirant, that is fragrance-free, and that I can rely on to prevent odor. I'm fine with sweating a little. I like the idea of the Crystal because it's so light and I don't feel like I'm smearing a toxic goop into my pores.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I use a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda: this after using Mitchem, which was sometimes insufficient. I've had no problems with the coconut BS mix.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Does it rub off on your clothes at all? The fact that the crystal doesn't is my favorite thing about it.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    I actually started using one of the crystal "rocks", and it's working pretty well for me. I also like to layer Tom's of Maine (I think it's the Bay Lime one- there is a fragrance, but it's "natural") on top. I actually tried the Tom's alone first and was dissatisfied with it, but the two together seem to achieve the best results. The ultimate test: Summer in Italy: 100 degrees and super humid. I felt sweaty, sticky and gross, but even at the end of walking around in the sun all day, was not stinky. YMMV!
    With Mark's help, I've conquered depression, acne, rosacea, scale obsession, migraines, and lethargy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

http://www.theladygrok.blogspot.com/

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread8215.html

Quote Originally Posted by waxleaves View Post
    Does it rub off on your clothes at all? The fact that the crystal doesn't is my favorite thing about it.
    Nope. I put a thin layer, which seems to soak in rather quickly.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Diet will take care of major odor issues.

twinmama is offline Senior Member
    The crystal stick? Not sure if it's the same.

But I just started using Crystal Essence. I get it in the pomegranate scent. (I believe they have a scent free).

Odor for me tends to tie to hormones a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalchild View Post
    Diet will take care of major odor issues.
    Not major, it's a very minor odor, and only sometimes. It's more just like person-smell than typical body odor, but, yknow, I don't want to smell like a person when I'm interviewing for an apartment, teaching class, etc.

I'm using the Crystal stick, yes--the rock one. I think the major problem is when the layer wears off later in the day sometimes, and then the bacteria are able to form. I think I will try the Tom's, but maybe unscented. I like fragrances, but my sweat seems to intensify them when they're in deodorants, and I try to keep fragrance-free at work (even if *I* know the scent is natural and is less likely to cause a reaction in someone, that doesn't mean that other people know that about my fragrance, so I try to stay scent-neutral).

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I use a mixture of coconut oil and baking soda: this after using Mitchem, which was sometimes insufficient. I've had no problems with the coconut BS mix.
    I couldn't find my stick of CW deoderant one morning and went with the above. I was sold on day two when in the middle of a long hike the only pit odor I had was the light smell of coconut oil. I smelled like a tourist laden beach in Margaritaville. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Grol View Post
    I couldn't find my stick of CW deoderant one morning and went with the above. I was sold on day two when in the middle of a long hike the only pit odor I had was the light smell of coconut oil. I smelled like a tourist laden beach in Margaritaville. Which is nice.
    I'm still amazed this works: even with such a strong CW deodorant, summer days ended with stale-garlicky-stench. With the coconut and BS, summer has been odor free--even after the 90 minute weekend walk.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast