Thread: Source for Sea Veggies?

Source for Sea Veggies?

Shop Now
    Well, the thread description says how to buy, so hopefully this is the right place to ask. I've recently been introduced to dulse and kombu and find the flavors very satisfying, but I'm running low and can't find a place to restock.

Jumping back to the reason for this post, during the holidays my mom bought me a small variety pack of sea veggies from Amazon, and now Mark has posted the dulse recipe. After tasting them, I'm all for adding them to my every day cooking. However, I've recently moved to a new state and can't figure out where to buy the stuff. I live in the upper cumberland area of Tennessee now, which is about 5 hours from my old health food market guru who would order me anything.

As a side question, are these veggies normally around $30 a pound? For some reason that seems really high, but maybe you don't need as much when cooking with it? Still very new on these.

Whole Foods sells them. Certainly Asian markets do. I've seen dulse at Krogers. I add dulse to a seafood stew I make for breakfast. I have not tried frying the whole leaf version as a bacon substitute yet.

A pound is a whopperous bunch of seaweed. I would pay $30 a pound. I think in "ounces".
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Hello,
    friends this is my newest website. currently i am working for this site to maintaining this more
    knowledging and informative for others. so please suggest me how i can more make its impressive and knowledgeable to this site.
    my site name is DPC (diseaspointcenter_dot_tk)
    .................................................. ..
    Health Issues

please reply me

THANKS

WILSON.
    Last edited by WILSON111; 01-03-2016 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Modyfiing

Quote Originally Posted by WILSON111 View Post
    Hello,
    friends this is my newest website. i developing in now currently i am working from this site to maintaning this more
    knowledging and informative for ohters. so please suggest me how i can more impreccive and knowlegdeble to this site.
    my site name is DPC (diseaspintcenter_dot_tk)

please reply me

THANKS

WILSON.
    Consider yourself "Replied"

OP, I thought more about the sourcing question you posed, to which I included "Asian Markets" in my response. I just want to add, that I sometimes travel in some pretty rural areas where you wouldn't expect to find an Asian Market and certainly not Whole Foods or other progressive market. Look around carefully in the small towns of rural areas. I've seen Asian Markets tucked away in some of them that you'd not immediately recognize as a market. They exist, I presume, to serve the Asian diaspora relocated to America in the 1970s as well as native Asian-Americans who also have found their way to less populated areas. The markets may not have much traffic from other local ethnic groups, but they likely will have your sea vegetables even if you don't have a more recognizable source.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

You could keep getting them off Amazon. Most health food places sell them. And yes, they are expensive. I like the kombu from Japan... not sure why but the BC stuff is slimy after I soak it and the Japanese isn't... and holy god it is expensive. 30 dollars a lb would be a deal on that.
    Out of context quote for the day:

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Thanks for the help. I've still had some trouble finding sea veggies, but luckily I've found a few whole foods that are somewhat nearby. 3 to 4 hours round trip, but I can pick up a good bit of other fare, so it's probably worth it. There is also a store in town that has a few type of dehydrated veggies, mostly kombu, dulse, and nori. The ones I want to try but can't find are arame and sea palm.

Quote Originally Posted by kirdenlynx View Post
    Thanks for the help. I've still had some trouble finding sea veggies, but luckily I've found a few whole foods that are somewhat nearby. 3 to 4 hours round trip, but I can pick up a good bit of other fare, so it's probably worth it. There is also a store in town that has a few type of dehydrated veggies, mostly kombu, dulse, and nori. The ones I want to try but can't find are arame and sea palm.
    If you get arame try making a japanese seaweed salad out of it. Any time I go for sushi I get that and it's DELICIOUS. They're supposed to be made with arame.

I'll be honest, though, kombu is my favorite. I soak it to make a stock then chop it up and add it to the soup or curry. It's so good.

Clearly Gorbag is so awesome he should be cloned, reproducing in the normal manner would only dilute his awesomeness. - Urban Forager

Remove
    Last edited by Wildrose; 01-07-2016 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Double post

I presume that $30/pound is for dehydrated fare. Any dehydrated food appears very expensive at the glance.

A three or four hour drive is pretty expensive, speaking of costs. At 25 mpg and 70mph and $1.80 a gallon for gas, that's $5/hr just for gas. Far better to mail order. Probably a better selection, too.

Shop Now
    you can check out their site , i think there's a list on where to buy them http://www.sea-veggies.com/