Thread: Just popping in to say G'day!

Just popping in to say G'day!

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I've been meaning to pop in and say a quick G'day, just haven't had a chance until now!

I used to subscribe to the MDA blog years ago, although the Primal Blueprint didn't suit me at the time, Marks approach to the whole thing really sat well with me (his easy, no-stress, 'do what feels natural' outlook) and I enjoyed reading his posts every day. I went through a phase where I was overburdened by email subscriptions, RSS feeds etc and cleared everything out. I only came across MDA again about three months ago.

I had been a vegetarian for the past fifteen years and used to run a fair bit (logging between 7-15K's a day), but got into a bad relationship and my fitness fell away. Thankfully I maintained a relatively healthy diet (with the exception of excesses of booze and chocolate!), otherwise I would have turned into a potato!

Anyway, fast forward a few years and I'm moderately active again, work keeps me on my feet and moving a lot during the busy season, but not so much in the latter half of the year. I joined a gym 18 months ago, frustrated at my squishy belly, lack of muscle tone (and lack of strength in general) and that I just seem incapable of motivating myself at home. I trimmed down a little and slowly saw a bit of muscle come back. I still struggled with fatigue which I had done for the past 10 years or so. Yes, I'll admit, for the past 8 years I have been a VERY lazy vegetarian, it takes work to make sure you're combining all the right foods at every meal and I just lost interest, opting for plain steamed veg and pasta at most meals. Quick, easy, no thinking involved.

So anyway, I decided to give meat a try, I managed to put my emotional/ethical feelings to the side and treat it purely as a scientific experiment to be reassessed at the end of four weeks. I spoke with my trainer at the gym, explained that I didn't want to be wasting all the protein my body was now getting, he wrote my up a hypertrophy based workout to do a few times a week. I have a Mesomorph body shape, but have never been muscular, who wouldn't want to use this opportunity to get a bit of 'bulk'?! I was seeing great improvements, until I suffered a rotor-cuff tear at work, which put me back to square one. That's about when I rediscovered MDA. Work out less, get more results??? No way!!

I gave the 21 day challenge a go last month, I was focused mostly on the food, because that's always been a sticking point, I was a bit of a guts as a kid (as opposed to my older brother, same body shape, but he has ALWAYS been a fantastic specimen) and find it really easy to over eat, or eat out of boredom, emotion etc. Since eating meat my physical energy levels have been right up, which is fantastic, and kind of answers the question of 'should I still be a vegetarian' for me (I just have to deal with the moral side of that decision), but eating to the PB I've felt my mental alertness switch on again, and I definitely feel more in control of my appetite, I'm not as hungry, I'm eating less, have no trouble skipping a meal if I need to, whereas in the past when I needed to eat, I NEEDED TO EAT! So, that's a big step for me, feeling very proud about that.

Where to from here? Well, I need to put some focus on the workout side of things. I follow instructions well, but get stuck when I need to think for myself on something I'm not an expert of, that's what I've enjoyed about the gym I can ask someone to write me a program, then I just follow that. I think I need a PB program, yes, I know it's already pretty basic, but I can't get my head around it without a weekly plan in front of me. I've got four weeks off over Christmas, so I'm hoping to get on top of this and set a good routine before I go back to work, right into my busiest season. I'd love to have dropped the gym by then, that'll save me so many hours a week which I just don't have at that time of year.

So, that's me. Thanks everyone who contributes here, I've found a lot of answers (and plenty more questions...) in the forums here.

Cheers!

I think the 'moral side' of eating meat are easily addressed.

Anyway good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    I think the 'moral side' of eating meat are easily addressed.

Anyway good luck.
    I'm definitely getting there! I grew up in a farming family, and as the youngest I often got lumped with nursing sick animals because I was too young/small for the heavier work. That turned into a love and compassion for all life and I didn't like the idea of killing them. My brother also became a vegetarian, but his motivation was purely ecological. He's back eating meat now too (through doctors orders, because they're trying desperately for a baby), but he's in an enviable position where he can chose to eat only wild caught game.

...if you have any insights into dealing with the moral conscience, I'm definitely all ears, anything to help me feel good about feeling this good!
    Last edited by Grok On Wheels; 12-22-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Learn More
    There are heaps.

Do you think less or more animals are killed/maimed in providing you with a zero meat diet?