Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it better to eat 2 meals a day? page

grokka is offline Senior Member

is it better to eat 2 meals a day?

Primal Fuel
    regardless of the IF component (sometimes I skip lunch, or eat a big brunch), is it better to eat 2 meals a day vs. 3, especially in regards to insulin levels? And days where breakfast is IF'd, even better still?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    2 VS. 3 is really minimal difference.

2 vs 6 is usually where differences come into play. I prefer two larger meals on non-fasting days rather than 6 small meals because my body will be spending more time using nutrients than storing them. When you eat a meal, your body's main focus is the storage of those incoming nutrients, fat in particular. after digestion is complete, 4-6 hrs later, your body will shift into a state that is more geared towards utilizing the nutrients consumed.....so I find its superior, in a fat-burning perspective, to eat less frequently (but still the same amount of calories), than to eat more frequently, as you give your body a chance to dip into your fat reserves (pending a caloric deficit), and not be constantly digesting and dealing with (read: storing) nutrients and cals.

your metabolism will not be slowed down with 2 larger meals a day, either. As long as you are hitting your calorie and protein goal, your metabolism will not slow, contrary to popular belief ( ie you MUST eat every 2 hrs!!!!!)

with regard to insulin levels, anything you eat to break a fast, or anything you eat in general, will raise your insulin, FYI. Insulin has many functions in the body, and is released after eating anything, be it a steak or a bag of doritos. However,chronically spiked insulin, due to excessive carbs and stress and such and poor diet are what youre really trying to avoid.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-22-2010 at 11:43 AM.

and its much better for your insulin to eat steaks, not doritos

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I usually go with two meals a day these days because it's easier to get the protein that I need in with two meals than just one. I pretty much keep my eating down to a four to six hour window so, I'm just not hungry enough for three meals.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I usually go with two meals a day these days because it's easier to get the protein that I need in with two meals than just one. I pretty much keep my eating down to a four to six hour window so, I'm just not hungry enough for three meals.
    +1

Remember is not about schedules but more about insulin production and getting good nutrients.

I fast every day for 16 hrs mainly because I just dont feel that hungry anymore

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I was just reading The Vegetarian Myth and I’m pretty much at the end and she has some things to say regarding Vegetarians and their eating habits as a result of not eating enough tryptophan she said it causes a reduction in hunger which usually helps vegetarians eat less (and let’s face it, many people turn vegetarian not necessarily for moral reasons but to lose weight) it made me think if that’s what’s happening with us daily IFers? But we do eat tryptophan (found in meat) does anybody know if there’s any similar thing going on? I always thought my decreased hunger was because I was getting enough nutrients and certainly eating enough food for my level of expenditure…

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    "and its much better for your insulin to eat steaks, not doritos "

It's not better. Protein spikes teh Insulinz too. It's called digestion.

Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post
    "and its much better for your insulin to eat steaks, not doritos "

It's not better. Protein spikes teh Insulinz too. It's called digestion.
    I know that, thats why I said "with regard to insulin levels, anything you eat to break a fast, or anything you eat in general, will raise your insulin, FYI" in my initial response to OP. But I think we can both agree that eating steak is better than eating junk grains for maintaining moderate insulin levels, yes? I believe there is a whole book on the topic......Primal something.....Primal Blue somthing......

chima_p is offline Senior Member
    "But I think we can both agree that eating steak is better than eating junk grains for maintaining moderate insulin levels, yes?"

No. You don't need to "maintain" insulin levels. Insulin is not the bad guy. Having chronically full glycogen storage in your liver and muscles is the bad guy. Lower carb eating, play, heavy lifting all serve to remedy the situation and allow insulin to do it's job. That is a major part of why the PB works for most people.

I think the focus on insulin is doing more harm than good and causing confusion where there shouldn't be. As in the question from the OP should not really be a question if insulin wasn't so misunderstood around here.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chima_p View Post

No. You don't need to "maintain" insulin levels. Insulin is not the bad guy. Having chronically full glycogen storage in your liver and muscles is the bad guy. Lower carb eating, play, heavy lifting all serve to remedy the situation and allow insulin to do it's job. That is a major part of why the PB works for most people.
    Elegantly stated Chima. Even a little inspiring, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast