Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - ReadyToGrok page

ReadyToGrok is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal - ReadyToGrok

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    *crickets....*

So, I guess I just start here.

I am a transplanted Canadian now living in Northern California. I *love* that I no longer need to spend 6 months of the year indoors...

First the stats:

Height: 6' 0"
    Occupation: Geek - which means I sit at my desk most of the 8 hours of the day.

As of June 1-ish

Starting weight: 188 lbs
    Body Fat: 20+ % (according to our fancy scale)

Not sure exactly how accurate the scale is but I am using it more as a comparison than taking the body fat number as fact.

As of July 20

Current Weight: 181 lbs
    Body Fat: 18.9 %

Here is my journey to this point.

I was always pretty skinny in High School, through college. When I got married 15 years ago I was about 125 lbs. Not healthy, I know, but just a reference point. I was not very active at this point.

I was put on Lipitor a little while later too. My Dr. was concerned that it was so high so early. Plus I have a history of heart disease with my Grandpa passing away early. We tried diet and a bit of exercise but ended up being on 10 mg every other day (as low a dose as it could be apparently).

I wish I had some of my old results back to see what the ratios were really...

A few years ago my wife (who is on these forums as well, known as Momto3 - love you babe!) and I started to do the Body Rx stuff. I saw great results while I stuck with it but I just could not stay motivated. In that time we would occasionally see a personal trainer and her suggested goal weight for me was around 170 lbs. I am shooting for 170-175.

The heaviest I had been was just earlier this year. I was getting down on myself that I had gained so much. I would dread seeing in the morning if I had passed the 190 lb mark. I got pretty close.

So what brought me here: I ran across an article by the Health Skeptic about cholesterol. I had been put back on a statin again but stopped taking it. We did some more research into it and in the process found the Healthy Skeptic's review of the Primal Blueprint.

My wife bought the book and read it through immediately. I am still making my way through it for myself, but we implemented the changes around the second week of June.

Giving up the grains has been pretty easy. Maybe I was still in the zone from giving up diet pepsi two weeks prior to that. I do miss crunchy snacks, but it hasn't been horrible at least.

So anyway, we are 6 weeks in. We are much more active, trying to get out each weekend for a hike as best we can with 3 boys, 8, 4 and an almost 3 month old.

I am on my second week of SimpleFit. Yup, I am one of the cheaple due to cheapo's post on MDA. I like the body weight workout because I don't need to mess around with weights and all that.

Goals: (let me know if these sound okay or out to lunch)

Weight: 170 -175 lbs
    Body Fat: 15 %

I am working to be able to do pull ups. So far I still need to sub in SimpleFit. Last night was L2D2 and I was able to do 2 consecutive pull ups, then subs after that. It is a start.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

Guy_From_Amelie is offline Senior Member
    You know what's crunchy and fairly primal? Freeze dried fruit, available at Trader Joe's and other fine establishments.

Thanks. It might be just the thing...
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

Horray for small improvements.

Not only did I do a couple real pull ups in last night's workout, I also needed to make another hole in my belt so it could go tighter.

I'll take it.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

One may be wondering what I have been eating...

Breakfast:
    I usually have a protein shake with 1/3 cup of coconut milk and a tablespoon of coconut oil. It is quick and easy.

Lunch:
    Lately I have having 3 scrambled eggs in butter, lunch meat (salami or chicken) or left over chicken or steak from previous meals, carrots.

Dinner:
    Often a spinach or lettuce salad with meat, cheese, olive oil and balsamic dressing. Or a big steak like last night, with cauliflower faux-tatoes. Other veggie options are green beans with bacon, broccoli.

Snack:
    Used to do lots of nuts, but they don't agree with me. Now a handful of macadamias or a few almonds here or there. The peperoni sticks from costco are a pretty good snack, beef jerky, fruit like apples, peaches, nectarines, cherries and berries like blueberries (my favorite), raspberries, blackberries, etc. I will (like today) take a cut up peach in heavy cream to work.

Exercise:
    M: SimpleFit Day 1 Level 2
    T: Sprinting (played soccer with the family at the park)
    W: SimpleFit Day 2 Level 2
    T: Missed it (supposed to be swimming or something)
    F: SimpleFit Day 3 Level 2
    S: Hiking
    S: Rest or walking

M-F I also park away from my workplace so i end up walking almost 2 miles that way.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

Tonight was "judgement" day with simplefit. I was 2 minutes over the 5 minute time needed to progress to level 3.

But I think I am okay with that. I want to make sure the form is right before moving on.

I may just stay here until I can do the required pull ups properly.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

The weekend was pretty good.

We headed out with our three boys on a hike for a couple hours. It is definitely slower going with the kids, but I got a couple sprints up a hill here and there. My feet were tired in my VFF's afterward though. We made it 2.3 miles.

After the hike and lunch we came back home and I took 2 boys swimming in our condo's pool. They were so excited and have been doing so well. The swimming lessons they are taking are really making an impact in their confidence and skill in the water.

Yesterday, we joined our family on the ski boat at the lake for a few hours in the morning. I managed to stay away from the chips and stick to the chicken and a bit of cheese. I think I ate too many nuts again though. After the lake, my wife and I had a wonderful, unexpectedly quiet dinner together, and watched Back To The Future just for fun.

Today is supposed to be Day 1, Level 2 of SimpleFit again, but we have plans this evening. I had intended to get up early and do it then, but I forgot. Hopefully there will be time when we get home this evening.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

So there wasn't time to workout last night, so I did so this morning.

I did Level 2 Day 1 this morning and ended up getting 14 rounds in the 20 minutes.

But the best news was I did a full pull up on the first 8 rounds. It is nice to see progress.

In fact, I lost my mind at the start because I did 3 or 4 in a row, forgetting that today was only a single pull up in each round. I was so used to doing 3 substitutions instead that I just started going.

Plus, I weighed in today at 180.4 lbs, dropping from my starting weight of 188.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

Momto3 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome progress!

^

(That's my wife. She's the best!)

Thanks.
    My PB Journal
    Started June 2010

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast