Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clafouti Fail? page

TimW is offline Junior Member

Clafouti Fail?

Shop Now
    I made the peach Clafouti recipe in the PB Cookbook, using almond flour, and placed in oven @ 375. After 40mins, tops was golden brown, sides were set, middle was liquid. Left in for 5 more minutes.

Needed to bake the chicken, so took it out to cool. After chicken was baked, checked Clafouti. Center still liquid.

So, we put back in oven while we ate...first for 8 mins, then another 10 mins. Even then, the center never solidified.

I used a square 2qt Pyrex baking dish.

Any ideas what might have gone wrong?
    TimW
    Phoenix

BayouPrimal is offline Member
    My wife made ours with coconut flour in a round pan and it turned out great. Was it too deep? Ours was 1"-1.5" thick.

syzchan is offline Member
    I think the pyrex was too small and deep. I used a 3 qt pyrex oblong and it came out perfect.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    Have your oven temp calibrated.
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing happen to mine. Baked the damn thing for an extra 30 min and the center was still liquid. I did a double layer of peaches which I think was first mistake. Second they were very very ripe so I think all the juice didn't help.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I did mine in a square type baking stone, so likea cookie sheet but with sides. So it was 9x11. The Clafouti itself was only maybe 1/2" thick TOPS. I would retry, but use a larger baking area so that it's thinner...
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

TimW is offline Junior Member
    about 2" deep, and the pan is 9" on a side. Used two layers of peaches in it...as that was 3 cups per recipe. I think those two items are the issue...too deep and too many peaches.
    TimW
    Phoenix

Peggy is offline Senior Member
    chalk that one up to experience... if you don't have an oven thermometer, get one. They are invaluable. Also, once you have mastered the clafouti, your imagination will run WILD & you will be creating all sorts of variations. Truely, they are quite easy & extremely versatile. I got my sister hooked on them a couple weeks ago. She made me one with cherries & cocoa nibs, topped with coarsely chopped almonds.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I used to make these pre PB using a small amount of regular flour and they were fantastic. I've tried a couple of times since PB using the recipe in the book, and a couple I've got from other sources - and I haven't found that I like them as much.

I'll give it another go though - I LOVED to make a cherry tomato and anchovy clafoutis ! Delicious!

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    I think there must be at least one typo... Recipe calls for 1-1.5 qt baking dish/pie plate, to hold 3 c fruit, 2 c liquid, and 4 eggs (plus misc. ingreds). That's about 7 cups or so; no way will 1 qt work.

I've got one baking now, but I'm not optimistic. The almond flour was too little to really make a batter. In fact, it didn't seem to mix in at all, just sunk to the bottom. The fruit is swimming and lost in the liquid.

I guess we'll see...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast