Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is it to eliminate nightshades (peppers in particular)? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

How important is it to eliminate nightshades (peppers in particular)?

Primal Fuel
    I've been able to say goodbye to grains, legumes, dairy, nuts, and limit my fruit consumption. The one thing I really love too much are peppers. I can do without the other nightshades; tomatoes are high in carbs, eggplants are nasty, and I haven't touched a potato since I learned of its glycemic index/load. But peppers are a great addition to the primal diet. I like occasional bell peppers in my omeletes and stir fries, and I like dried pepper spices (cayenne, crushed red pepper, etc). Do you think these are relatively harmless considering I cut out the other neolithic culprits?

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say they are fine.

When you get to the point of worrying about peppers, you win

Russ is offline Senior Member
    What's the problem with peppers?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i eliminated nightshades last summer as an experiment. apparently there are chemicals that some people can't break down from tom. pep. eggplant pot. etc. no difference for me. i eat 'em up w/no problems:-) if you get arthritic pain from eating them then maybe cut 'em out for awhile. we'll be left with NOTHING to eat if we keep this up;-)
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Clint is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I'd say they are fine.

When you get to the point of worrying about peppers, you win
    +1!

@Russ: Paleo followers state that tomatoes and peppers are part of the nightshade family and because of that help contribute to unhealthy conditions such as joint deterioration. I'm afraid I don't much more than that.

Acmebike is offline Member
    Nightshades can be gut irritants and contribute to auto-immune issues! Tolerating a food, is not necessarily an optimal condition!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Tomatoes are not high in carbs in any meaningful sense and moderate amount, btw. Glycemic load is far more important than the abstraction of glycemic index ... tomatoes are mostly water. Just sayin', because I can't imagine giving up such a tasty and versatile vegetable unless I had a very strong reason to think it didn't agree with me. I like eggplant too, although I don't have it that often.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I am completely and hopelessly addicted to habanero and bhut jolokia peppers. I eat them every day on anything that have with meat or eggs. I wouldn't be able to quit even if I wanted to. (and I don't)

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    I think if we really tried we could find something negative to say about most any food we eat.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Nutrition in a vacuum, gotta love it.........as in everything bad for us, we need to keep context and dosage in mind, otherwise just reading this has elevated my cortisol levels and will die soon. j/k

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast