Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: too fatty? page

kimk8202 is offline Member

too fatty?

i just got my primal cookbook and I notice a lot of the recipes have either cream or coconut milk (I am guessing full fat)

I dont drink milk as it has always made me feel sick, I think I am lactose intolerant. I sometimes eat a small amount of cheese or yoghurt but pretty rarely.

I tried coconut milk today and found that it seemed too rich and didn't sit well in my stomach. I often find that really fatty food, doesn't matter what type but if it is much fat in one sitting makes me feel a bit ill - nausea, stomach upset.

I have always used soy milk but read the package last week and it has heaps of crap in it and it is soy, which has lectins which may not be that great after all.

Do you think almond milk would replace in the recipes or what would be your suggestion? Is fresh coconut milk better?

p.s wasn't crash hot on the coconut milk in coffee. i tried this. when i opened the can the fat part was stuck to the top with the water at the bottom. it did melt but returns obviously when back in the fridge. do people really drink this in their coffee?

kim

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    I love coconut milk in my coffee. I open a room temp can and put it in a container with a pour spout in the fridge, which I shake before adding to coffee.

ETA: A lot of people that are lactose intolerant are fine when consuming raw milk, just as a side note.
    Last edited by supersellen; 07-22-2010 at 08:02 AM.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kimk8202 View Post
    I often find that really fatty food, doesn't matter what type but if it is much fat in one sitting makes me feel a bit ill - nausea, stomach upset.
    That's interesting.

In fact one of the major problems with most modern diets is that they are too low in fat. Healthy primitive people ate anything from 40% to 80% of their calories as fat (depending on where they lived). Fat, as such, isn't a problem - so long as it is healthy, traditional fats (animal carcase fats or butter, or a very very few plant-based oils, such as raw virgin coconut, palm, or olive oil) that are eaten. Most people need to eat more of it.

However, digesting fat can be a problem for people who have got used to not eating enough of it. You might find it necessary to use digestive enzymes temporarily. Bitter herbs - or a preparation of them, such as "Swedish Bitters" - are said to help, too. Lactic fermented vegetables and drinks - sauerkraut, kvass, etc., have also been found to be helpful.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-22-2010 at 08:38 AM.

rucker_z is offline Member
    I cannot drink coconut milk straight as it upsets my stomach but mixing it up with other foods it is no problem for me.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been following a primal diet? It takes some people a bit of time to get used to a high-fat diet, maybe you just need a bit longer to adjust (and Lewis' advice in the last paragraph will help until then).

Almond milk is fine to consume, depending on the additives. If you make your own, or buy one that's JUST almonds, that would be best. It depends on the individual recipe whether almond milk would work, but if you've got any specific recipes in mind, we could probably help you make them dairy- and coconut-milk-free. =]

I find that some brands of coconut milk stay mixed in the fridge better than others. If I buy "Thai Kitchen" brand, I can pour it into a container, shake it up really really well, and it won't separate again. Maybe that's because it has a little bit of guar gum in it (a thickener). I'm not a big fan of it in coffee either... luckily I can digest cream just fine, so it isn't an issue.

well i have been following my own type of "primal" for years, just never really called it that, but probably more paleo than primal as I just didn't like much "fatty" food as it didn't sit well in my stomach. I have never tried cream actually as sort of lumped it with how milk does with me and it didn't seem very healthy. So you are using coconut cream and not millk, would that make a difference?

i might try slowly adding in more saturated fat and see how I go. It has sort of been removed from my diet, except the odd egg yolk for quite some time.

so is it coconut milk or cream you use in your coffee? Canned? Are there certain ones better than others? I am in New Zealand and we don't have that many brands/types. I watched a you tube video about making your own, I could try that. I am currently making almond milk but it seems to go off quite quickly so now making smaller batches. I still finding this my biggest habit to shake as I like soy milk and when I go out to the cafe there is nothing to put in my coffee boo.

maybe i'll just have to have it with soy when i go out. i dont' like it black. maybe i just need to learn to love espressos.

we also don't have half and half over here. i grew up in canada and that is what my family uses but not sure what the equivalent is here. haven't tried it in so long as thought I wouldn't do well as dairy I'm not good with. they really only sell milk or whipping cream and I haven't found any organic.

maybe someone from this side of the world knows...

kim

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    @kim

you should be able to find at least organic milk...my local New World has it as does Woolworths...also, I understood half and half to be a mix of half milk and half cream? Not sure about that though.

I'm guessing that the nausea/yukkiness you exprience after milk is indeed lactose intolerance, so I suspect that a tiny dash of pure cream in your coffee would be alright, seeing as cream has less lactose in it? Only a teeny dash mind you, just to change the colour of the coffee I buy Anchor cream, 1l every week!

Oh what I was going to say is that I use this coconut cream from the local asian grocer - http://www.kara.com.sg/html/products.htm and so far its been good. I sometimes like to make a "liquid bounty bar" with pure cocoa powder, hot water and a dash or 2 of this coconut milk mixed in. This brand seems to keep well in the fridge if you cut the tetra pack just a little. be sure to shake it a little very time you use it

FlamingAndromeda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Oh I love the 'liquid Bounty bar'...been making that for a while now off and on...just thinking of trying it 'iced' for summer coming up....

I can't drink heated milk so hot coconut milk is great as a substitute.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast