Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting fail page

jeremy is offline Junior Member

Fasting fail

Shop Now
    I tried to do a 24hr. fast yesterday but about 8pm I felt sick to my stomach and really hungry. I ate like a savage and physically felt better but was pissed I couldnt make it 24hrs. Just wondering if anyone else had a hard time with it the first time and if I should try it again next week. Thanks

chia is offline Senior Member
    I can empathize....I have quite the ravenous appetite and just awaking in the morning, after a 12 hour fast since dinner, is MORE than I can handle. My stomach is so empty it's raging! BUT, it may be a bit psychological too....if I really wanted to, I could do it...I just get headachey if I go too long without eating and I HATE that! Wish I could give you good advice here...... I'm just not the greatest faster... ;-) just wanted you to know I read your words and feel for you. :-)

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I failed on my first two. I can do them now without any problem though. I think it's mostly mental, but you also may not be totally adapted to low carb yet. Keep trying!

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    It is a mental thing and I have found that I never really get as hungry as I feared I would. I'm a daily IF person these days. I don't go a full twenty four hours very frequently but I hit twenty or so all the time. The key is to ease into it and know that your mind is in control of your body not the other way around.

supersellen is offline Senior Member
    Fasting can require practice, it does get easier each time.

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    I truly don't understand this whole "fasting on purpose" thing. I know, I've read all the info on how fasting is supposed to be good for you, yada yada, but really, why fast when your body is telling you it needs food?! I fasted yesterday from 2:00 until around 6:00 this morning BECAUSE I WASN'T HUNGRY. That makes sense to me. But why do it when your body is sending you clear and urgent messages (in the form of headaches, hunger, etc.) that it needs food? Why override your natural biological messages? Please educate me.

jeremy is offline Junior Member
    To be totally honest I dont know a lot about it. I just read an artical posted on the site and thought I would give it a try.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    theres really no reason to go for 24 hrs at first. start with 10, 12, hrs, and work your way up to maybe 16-20 hrs max. 24hr + is something I would save for once in a while.

adamj is offline Junior Member
    i've read about various health virtues, from letting your GI tract "reset" to optimizing hormone balance for better fat maintenance.

as far as headaches and the like, i have gotten a few. the problem with accepting any message from your body as being healthful is that just may not be the case. if you've been eating breakfast 30 mins after you wake up for your entire life, you'll get hungry when you wake up, not necessarily because your body needs food, but because your brain expects you to give it food. I fast daily now from after dinner until lunch and it gets easier and easier, and i think part of that must be that i just don't expect to be eating until then.

That being said... if you have such a bad headache that you can't make it through the day, of course you can eat. Everyone just has to decide what the difference is between a little discomfort and a potentially more dangerous condition. Whatever you're doing just be safe and conscientious when you do it and it should work out fine.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by primalpatty View Post
    I truly don't understand this whole "fasting on purpose" thing. I know, I've read all the info on how fasting is supposed to be good for you, yada yada, but really, why fast when your body is telling you it needs food?! I fasted yesterday from 2:00 until around 6:00 this morning BECAUSE I WASN'T HUNGRY. That makes sense to me. But why do it when your body is sending you clear and urgent messages (in the form of headaches, hunger, etc.) that it needs food? Why override your natural biological messages? Please educate me.
    Personally I never get these alarming MUST EAT NOW body messages you speak of. If I did and I was deep into a fast (nearing 24 hours or so) I'd eat. I can go 16-18 hours with absolutely no issues and I do it pretty much daily. When I do eat though I EAT, I like it better than having smaller meals thrice a day, it makes meal planning ridiculously easy since I'm only eating up to twice a day.

I don't see it as a punishing act at all, the benefits are there and the discipline aspect is something I'm really into. Hunger pangs pass, we're wired to eat at certain times so breaking that down takes some time and patience. However, nobody's saying you have to do it every day, it fits my lifestyle though I work out in the am and I eat around 1pm then again around 6, 7 or 8pm rinse and repeat. On the weekends I'm likelier to start off with a big breakfast but I don't feel as light on my feet as I do on the days that I skip breakfast, I like the lighter feeling over the other which is definitely more sluggish. I also feel like I want to eat again much sooner when I do have breakfast than when I don't.

I always post this link when people ask about fasting: http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008...gy-production/ that's part 1 of 6, read them all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast