Thread: This isn't working page

nzllama is offline Junior Member

This isn't working

Primal Fuel
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum but not to the world or primal/paleo/MDA/CrossFit. First some (condensed) background... I've been overweight my whole life, but I managed to lose a considerable amount eight years ago. It slowly came back, plus some. About two and a half years ago I shifted countries and took the opportunity for a fresh start. Gradually, through walking, regular weight sessions, and a CW diet of lean protein, fruit, vege, and grains (no wheat) I dropped 26kg in eighteen months. I would like to drop 7kg more of fat. However, I've plateaued. So, about six months ago I took up CrossFit. About four months ago I started switching to primal, and I've been giving it a solid effort a month ago. I'd say I'm 95% primal. I also get eight hours of sleep every night, and I still walk most days after work (I have a desk job). I also hike regularly.

Now, I don't expect overnight results, but I'd like to see some improvement. I haven't seen any. In fact, I've gained a bit of fat back, primarily in my waist. Has anyone else had this issue?? I've even tried cutting out fruit to limit my fructose levels. I'm eating protein with every meal and I'm getting plenty of fat (that was a huge adjustment). I don't snack anymore. Have you had this problem? Were you able to break through it?

As a note, 7kg of fat loss would put me around 21% body fat, so it's not an unreasonable target.

Thanks

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    What exactly are you eating?
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

I've actually started writing it down to keep track. I live in NZ, so fresh cheap produce is limited at the moment (mainly root vege (no spuds), kales, and cabbage right now for cheap). Lots of chicken thighs, tuna, lean beef (pastured), pork, and bacon on occasion. I cook with butter and olive oil. Lots of curries with coconut cream. Stews. Grill/ pan fry a cut of meat with a side of vege in butter. Occasionally cheese. Walnuts and almonds. Cream in my coffee. I also always cook my own food from scratch (I was raised that way). I even ake my own stock. I can only tollerate eggs once a week. Fruit is limited to the occasional orange or a banana post work out. Breakfasts are hard... usually leftovers.

Quote Originally Posted by nzllama View Post
    I've actually started writing it down to keep track. I live in NZ, so fresh cheap produce is limited at the moment (mainly root vege (no spuds), kales, and cabbage right now for cheap). Lots of chicken thighs, tuna, lean beef (pastured), pork, and bacon on occasion. I cook with butter and olive oil. Lots of curries with coconut cream. Stews. Grill/ pan fry a cut of meat with a side of vege in butter. Occasionally cheese. Walnuts and almonds. Cream in my coffee. I also always cook my own food from scratch (I was raised that way). I even ake my own stock. I can only tollerate eggs once a week. Fruit is limited to the occasional orange or a banana post work out. Breakfasts are hard... usually leftovers.
    Hmmmm...I honestly am not sure..it sounds like you are doing things right...Do you know about how many calories you are taking in a day? (I don't believe calories matter as much but they can have an effect with some people..also expecially if you are doing Crossfit you may not actually be putting enough in?)..Do you know about how many grams of carbs you are putting in daily as well?

Also at the same time a month isn't really enough time to completely judge yet (I know you said you started 4 months ago, but I know for my own body none of the changes started until I REALLY did it)...have you taken your measurements? The first month I was on PB I actually thought my stomach was getting bigger but what had actually happen was my weight was shifting I had lost a lot in my hips making my stomach/waist look bigger that started to even itself out as the weight dropped though.
    Last edited by SheGlowsPale; 07-22-2010 at 01:07 AM.

I can't really judge the calories anymore. I was good at guessing when I followed CW (shot for 1800 and was always hungry). I feel like it's on the higher side now because of all the fat I'm eating, but I've managed to cut out snacking (which was huge for me). I should start counting carbs; I'm guessing between 50 and 100. Like I said, winter is tough with all the root vege. I'm from California originally, so it's been a big adjustment to not having cheep produce of all sorts available year round! I do eat kumara (NZ sweet potato), but I'm going to try cutting it out. I have taken measurements, and I did gain 1.5cm at the wide part of my waist near the belly button.

You're right, I need to give it more time and not throw it away. I refuse to believe this is my body's natural preference.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    If you post sample menus the members here are really good about breaking them down and noting where things might be falling apart on you.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Your foods look decent, so I'd say I'm at a loss too. I second the notion to not judge your progress by your weight and/or (self assessed) appearance. Take some measurements!

And, although it is really tedious, input your foods into an online journal (like fitday or some equivalent) for 1 to 2 weeks. This will give you very objective information.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Consider eating a little less and working out a little harder. This might be hard to do as in hard to track but make an effort to do so. Are you active throughout the day?

Walking a lot throughout the day would help a lot.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

I sit for my job most days, but I walk at lunch and after work, and I try to move around during the day. Train a few times each week, and I'm on the move most weekends (lately I've been clearing a lot of brush). I'm eating enough to feel full. I'm worried if I eat less I'll be too hungry and then slip up. I might try going less than 50gm per day to see if I can get a change. Perhaps I'm just really sensitive to carbs. After years of being heavy, I'm sure my metabolism has issues! We'll sort it. Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by nzllama View Post
    I sit for my job most days, but I walk at lunch and after work, and I try to move around during the day. Train a few times each week, and I'm on the move most weekends (lately I've been clearing a lot of brush). I'm eating enough to feel full. I'm worried if I eat less I'll be too hungry and then slip up. I might try going less than 50gm per day to see if I can get a change. Perhaps I'm just really sensitive to carbs. After years of being heavy, I'm sure my metabolism has issues! We'll sort it. Thanks all.
    Don't go hungry. Eat when your hungry..you can still do this very easily under 50g of carbs a day