Thread: Ox tongue page

Bushrat is offline Senior Member

Ox tongue

So I used Mark's recipe for cow's tongue and it was great. I'm planning on having a great deal more ox tongue to save money.

Anyway, what other recipes do you all have?

Also, does anyone have any crockpot recipes for tongue?

Come on Stabby, I know you won't let me down.

Mike Opteris is offline Member
    I pickle mine with the heart. Use about 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup of salt, bring to a boil. Place tongue in canning jar and cover with boiling pickling mix. Seal jar with canning lids and place jar into boiling water for 10 min. Remove jar and let cool. Should keep for at least a year as long as the canning seal is good.
    Hey does anyone make jerky out of tongue?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    I wish I'd known about this sooner!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Opteris View Post
    I pickle mine with the heart. Use about 2 cups apple cider vinegar, 1/3 cup of salt, bring to a boil. Place tongue in canning jar and cover with boiling pickling mix. Seal jar with canning lids and place jar into boiling water for 10 min. Remove jar and let cool. Should keep for at least a year as long as the canning seal is good.
    Hey does anyone make jerky out of tongue?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Thanks for the pickling idea.

Do you peel the tongue before you put it in the jar or when you take it out? Secondly, do you need to keep the jar in the fridge?

As far as I know you shouldn't have any fat on the meat when making jerky or it'll spoil sooner. Tongue is supposed to be about half fat.

Mike Opteris is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I peel the tongue. Once it's cooked it's fairly easy to peel and makes it real quick to pop open a jar and endulge! I don't refrigerate the mix. Once it's canned with the vinegar, it should last for a year or more at room temp. I keep mine in my basement where it's usually about 55 to 60 degrees year around and mostly dark. I've never had issues with the fat. I believe that the pickling takes care of that along with the sealing during canning. I am sure that someone can contribute regarding the safety particulars of canning meat, but I remember my mother canning the heart and tongue and it lasted at least a year or until we butchered another steer. Most of the time it was eaten before the year was up.
    I wish I'd known about this sooner!