Thread: New here. Quick protein/greens question.

New here. Quick protein/greens question.

Shop Now
    First of all, hello everyone. I hope I can be a valuable member... I have been lurking for quite a while.

I have a quick question: I have been doing intermittent fasting with some great success, I only eat between 6pm-8pm apart from raw greens such as spinach and watercress at lunch time which I believe doesn't break the fast.

My problem is that I train fairly frequently during the morning and lunch time and worry about muscle wastage. I used to take BCAA but I wondered if the spinach and other greens would have the same effect anyway? I don't want to sacrifice any potential strength gains (I don't care about how I look, just want a great weight to strength ratio). I am fighting a very serious illness which is why I only want to eat for the 2 hours in the evening.

Just incase you are wondering, my typical evening feast (which I normally eat at 6 and then finish it off at 7:30 if I can't handle it all in one sitting) is a large sweet potato, small amount of grass fed butter, handful of soaked nuts, raw goats cheese, steamed eggs and vegetables and a huge piece of red meat. The only supplement I use is salmon oil.

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    You are vague on several fronts-- what your illness is, what is the nature of your workouts, and why your illness makes you want to keep to 1 meal a day. My initial thought is that your physical concerns on muscle loss are not an issue with your time of day feeding, as long as your body is telling you that you are eating enough. I think I'd be more concerned about your illness being the root cause of any muscle loss.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

I suffer from M.E.

Some days I can't do anything, but when I do get any spare energy I like to perform strongman feats like tearing cards, bending nails and lifting heavy things over my head. If I train too hard then I am up all night feeling like a vegetable and if I don't train at all then the same thing happens. I started with ulcerative colitis and beat that eventually but then M.E showed up. I used to eat like a pig before I got ill and it wrecked my body, so I assume that I need to reverse the process by eating perfectly and not taxing my digestive system.

Just because I am able to train hard sometimes, does not mean that my illness isn't serious - there is some crazy stuff happening to my body at times and my lungs, heart and brain suffer tremendously. I have no childhood memories and suffer from serious brain fog too. I look perfectly fine, but inside I am fighting something that I could never explain with no help from doctors because they don't understand it.

I'd say there's a risk that you'll break your fast with greens... BCAAs are good on that aspect as they contain very few calories...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! If it's working for you, no reason to change.

Thanks guys.

The reason why I preferred greens to bcaa is because I wanted to starve my muscles of protein as long as possible and then give it a huge spike each evening. I feel that bcaa's will satiate the muscles too much and give them what they want.

Shop Now
    I think I'd be more involved about your sickness being the main cause of any muscular reduction.

Tanning Lotions | Fake Bake
    Last edited by crystalfisk282; 01-08-2016 at 02:35 AM.