Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy_From_Amelie's Journal page

Guy_From_Amelie is offline Senior Member

Guy_From_Amelie's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! I'm a 30 year old dude who really really likes the movie Amelie. Also, I'm finally committing to a primal diet after considering it for over a year. I've got a super long background story as well.

Used to lift weights maniacally and tore a bunch of stuff. Had many failed surgeries. Diagnosed with genetic connective tissue disorder, living with constant pain in most large joints. However, it could be much worse, plus I'm in the middle of a nutrition PhD program, which gives me loads of excuses to research primal stuff.

Tomorrow is day one! This carefully-posed guido picture is me from over a thousand days ago! And that other picture is the eponymous real guy from Amelie! While I've replaced all my muscle with fat in the past three years, let this reminder serve as a...ummm, reminder...that seeing abs again isn't out of the question. And if being primal helps the pain at all, that would be the cat's pajamas.

Good luck to all, and don't forget to eat the occasional primal dessert. Just got the Primal Cookbook, and there's some very tempting recipes in there...

Last edited by Guy_From_Amelie; 07-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.

$200 worth of cookware just arrived from Amazon, amounting to my first real foray into cooking. Here's what's in the box:

-Moderately cheap knife set (chef, utility, useless bread, paring, shears, bamboo block)
    -Potato ricer (for making cauliflower rice)
    -Bamboo utensil set
    -Bamboo cutting board
    -Meat thermometer
    -Stash Herbal Tea Sampler, 108 bags
    -Some other stuff

What do I replace my teflon pan with? Stainless steel? Hard-anodized-super-corrosive-resistant-never-stick aluminum?

Primal Day 1

Meals
    B- Whey/egg protein; blueberries
    L- Salad: Salmon, mixed greens, carrot, mushroom, olive, cucumber, olive oil
    S- Almonds; sweet pickle
    D- Truffle fries with gruyere cheese; probably 2 beers (PS: I have a date tonight)

Exercise
    -30 minutes very light stationary biking
    Last edited by Guy_From_Amelie; 07-24-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Primal Day 2

Food
    B- Whey Protein
    L- Falafel sandwich, Chinese dessert bun
    D- Bacon-wrapped filet mignon
    S- Celery and almond butter

Exercise
    -10 minutes stationary bike

Today was all over the place. A bit of a tummy ache from Primal day 1, combined with it being Friday, made for a not very primal day.
    Last edited by Guy_From_Amelie; 07-24-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Primal Day 3

Food
    L- Whey Protein
    D- Chicken-lime burger (+coconut oil, ketchup, mustard); Mixed vegetables (+butter)
    S- 3 glasses Sangria, 1 glass beer

Exercise
    None

Drank more than I ate yesterday. Not that hungry though, but I'm getting ready for the eye of the chocolate and ice-cream craving storm to pass.
    Last edited by Guy_From_Amelie; 07-25-2010 at 09:24 PM.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy_From_Amelie View Post
    Used to lift weights maniacally and tore a bunch of stuff. Had many failed surgeries. Diagnosed with genetic connective tissue disorder, living with constant pain in most large joints.
    How is your 25(OH)D level?

You're far enough north that getting optimal (not sufficient mind you) levels of D from sun is impossible 9 months a year and difficult to impossible the other 3 (depending whether you work indoors or out).

What's your research turning up regarding zinc and connective tissue issues?

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

You should be a primary care physician! My PCP asked me a year ago about Vitamin D, which I tested low for. But I've been taking supplements for a year, so it's probably a non-factor. And incidentally, half of my job last year was screening article abstracts for the upcoming Vitamin D guideline revision!

I haven't looked up zinc and connective tissue. Should I? I perhaps naively figured that eating a good amount of meat would negate problems associated with low zinc.

Quote Originally Posted by
    You should be a primary care physician!
    Yes, I should. lol But....well, life has it's ways. Though honestly, there is nothing I want more. Long story. It's all over the place here at MDA. Sooner or later you'll find it. Or hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by
    My PCP asked me a year ago about Vitamin D, which I tested low for. But I've been taking supplements for a year, so it's probably a non-factor.
    How much are you taking? And how about another test just for shits and giggles? Was it Quest or LabCorp?

See my linked D doc below for more information regarding levels, labs, supplementation etc.

And incidentally, half of my job last year was screening article abstracts for the upcoming Vitamin D guideline revision!
    O_O *is envious*

I haven't looked up zinc and connective tissue. Should I?
    Yes.

I perhaps naively figured that eating a good amount of meat would negate problems associated with low zinc.
    One might think I used to as well, then I started tracking. In a primal/paleo/environment of evolutionary adaptation, zinc intake would likely have been quite high compared to what we get now relative to calories, to calcium to magnesium, to copper and much of it would come from organ meats. How much organ meat are you eating Yeah.....

It's worth tracking for a few days.

Also, have you heard the interesting stuff bubbling up regarding high calcium intake and optimal D levels?

Katherine

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Yes, I should. lol But....well, life has it's ways. Though honestly, there is nothing I want more. Long story. It's all over the place here at MDA. Sooner or later you'll find it. Or hopefully not.
    I read your first journal post, which is quite the Pandora's box. So now I have to read more before responding.
    By the way, my original goal was to go to med school and do a preventive medicine residency. But, alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_From_Amelie View Post
    What do I replace my teflon pan with? Stainless steel? Hard-anodized-super-corrosive-resistant-never-stick aluminum?
    I do keep on teflon pan for eggs....for the tines when I'm feeling lazy. I generally though, use my all-clad sautee pan for eggs...just be sure to use enough butter.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast