Thread: Keeping to PB on three week trip to CHina page

Cosima is offline Senior Member

Keeping to PB on three week trip to CHina

Primal Fuel
    My husband and I are going on a huge month long trip to China next year and I'd love to be able to stick with PB as much as possible. I'm going to be walking a ton, and I'm used to improvising workouts while traveling (pushups, crunches, wall squats, planks, etc.) so I'm not worried about the exercise portion.

I'm more curious about the nutritional side of things. I've tried to do some research on Chinese cuisine (authentic) but the country is so huge, it's understandably hard to get a read. Does anyone have any experience with traveling and eating in China? Available and predominant meats and vegetables? Cooking methods? I'm really only familiar with American-style Chinese cuisine and I'm sort of at a loss.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cosima; 08-12-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Spelling

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    You'll get to finally have the optional insects and loads of organ meats! You'll be fine, Meats, seafoods and veggies abound. You'll probably have to make a concession for soy sauce Just stay away from the soda and packaged snacks. Plain white rice is usually served separately or at the end of the meal which you can skip. Do try the soups as they are an important part of the meal and have a lot of great nutrients.

And it's nothing like Americanized restaurants at all.

Excellent, thank you! I'm obviously going to pack a carry-on full of grasshoppers as a back up, though.

The rice sounds like it should be easy enough to avoid, especially if there are plenty of meat and veggie options. I'm looking forward to trying a wide variety of foods but it's great to hear that it shouldn't be particularly carb heavy. And yeah, I stay away from packaged stuff and sodas here at home so that shouldn't change too much there. I figure I can find fresh fruit as a snack optiion when we're on the go during the course of the day.

Thanks for your help!

cemdev is offline Senior Member
    haven't been to china, however I have spent an extended period of time in Asia (thailand, laos, vietnam, cambodia, malaysia, burma, indonesia). Noodles and rice abound, so do meats and veggies. It'll take a little while, you'll figure out which dishes are most primal. You will have to make exceptions for soy sauce almost certainly. You may ingest a few noodles. They're rice noodles, so nowhere near as bad for you as western noodles. Rice is often separate, so generally no problem there. I think the trick will be to be a little relaxed about it. Stay as primal as you can, if you eat a few noodles, it's not the end of the world either.

bigwar is offline Junior Member
    Good luck. I spent a week there in June and struggled to find meals that weren't Fred in some garbage oil and served with grains. First thing our guide tells us..."don't eat much the first few days. Chinese food is oily.". He wasn't. Kidding. The cuisine was radically different from japan.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    In my experience China would be one of the hardest countries to be primal in due to all the oil. Very greasy and lots of industrial pollution affecting the food supply. If you are going super high-end all the way you will be fine, Chinese banquets are primal heaven. But your standard fare, not so much.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Be sure to visit Tuoli. They have a diet that is almost entirely meat and dairy.

I need to pull out the itinerary to see exactly where we're going-- there's a ton of domestic travel once we're in country so we'll be moving around quite a bit. We're going with an organized tour group with some friends who have been before; they claim that everything is fantastic, food included, and that there is an "American style" breakfast provided (eggs and bacon among other things, so I'm golden there) and lunch and dinner are family-style local dishes. I certainly don't want to seem unappreciative in a foreign country but I don't really want to down a ton of vegetable oil, either. I'm planning to pack and bring a supply of grass fed beef jerky (light, travels well) and I'll just have to eyeball the rest. The supremely unhealthy stuff should be (hopefully) fairly obvious.

The friends we're going with have experience with this tour company and they're pretty health conscious. Not primal, but I feel like if they say the food is high quality then that does have merit. So ultimately I'll just cross my fingers... And eat all the meat and veggies on the table before anyone else has a chance.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    to add to my previous comment above... the food is quite different region to region and much oilier in the north and less oily in the south. Traditionally, a lot of lard and lamb fat was used for cooking, although this is increasingly going toward vegetable oils; however, I've not found them to be as offensive as Chinese restaurant re-used oil that I avoid like the plague in the US.

Also, I speak the language enough to avoid the places that are catered for foreign tourists where it will be heavier on the carbs. You should tell the guide that you want to emphasize green vegetables as there are multiple kinds of leafy greens that are really great and healthy or ask to eat what the local guides eat, as you will see it is different.