Thread: IF quandry page

Chairdr is offline Senior Member

IF quandry

Primal Fuel
    O.k. so I was doing 18 hr if's 1 time a week...no problem. So I took what seemed to be a challenged layed down on this blog to go more. So last week I did around 30 hours, got great reults, & felt great. THEN... I started listening to "the paleolithic solution" pod cast.(great show). He said all you need is 16 hours of fasting to do what the metabolism needs, anymore might be detromental. I could do 16 hours everyday without even thinking. Well today is my weekly fast day. I aparently didnt take the advise I got & am on the fast track for another 30 hour fast. What is the right answer? did i misunderstand the pod cast? Is 30 hours too much? Am I a tool? HELP. Im 20 hours in, & was planning to eat breakfast @7am
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

Grol is offline Senior Member
    I regularly go 36 hours+. I am alternate day fasting for the month of July. That means I eat every other day. I love it, but I am morbildy obese and have lots of fat to feed off. It isn't for everyone. If you are conditioned for it, and seeking serious fast weight loss, it is a terrific tool. Make sure you keep proteins high to avoid muscle loss. Some amino acid recycling is bound to happen. I think it's super healthy. Others simply cannot handle it. If you are prone to eating disorders, please do not IF longer than 16 hours. No one knows exactly what is best for everyone because everyone is different. I need a big calorie deficit to lose weight at pace that makes me feel like this is worthwhile. I do not want to be fat one more day longer than absolutely necessary. My thinking is the unhealthy stuff of crash dieting so it needs to be understood as an accelerated program that is part of a permanently healthy primal lifestyle. For weight loss, I cannot imagine an easier and more effective combo than primal + IF. If you can extend those body fat burning IFs with some extra hours and still feel good physically -- congrats and good luck!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes less is more. You don't have to go long hours to have great results. I find I do very well on 20-hour IFs, almost daily. This week is an eating week. I've eaten 2 or 3 meals a day every day this week. Next week I'm back to 1 meal a day. Change it up.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    That podcast is good and they seem to know what they're talking about.
    Do 16 hours and then eat something if you want. If you really aren't hungry, then don't eat. It's really not so difficult. Trust yourself.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    And to clarify my enthusiasm, long term I plan to eat exactly like Diana two posts up, and I agree 100% with Primalchild's post. I have broken several planned fasts because I was hungry and extended several others because I wasn't. It is that simple.

Chairdr is offline Senior Member
    I dont feel hungry, for me its mind over matter. I still seem to have conventional meal times. its a hard habit to break. I fast wednesday because its the night i am @ work late, & miss the family dinner time anyway. My family is not by any stretch PB. Thanks for the reassurance
    "Don't dream it, be it"

-Dr. Frank-N-Furter

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I do 16-24+ fasts daily, depends on how i feel
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I've read you get all of the benefits of fasting by 16 hours in, but none of the negative effects (don't remember the source, which was accompanied by studies, I believe).

Not quite sure at what hour mark is accompanied by the negative effects.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I get pretty nauseated if I go more than 16 hours. Once I made it to 24. Doesn't seem to matter if I eat carbs or not the day before. Hey, to each his own.

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the info right in front of me...but I believe Eat-Stop-Eat noted studies where the benefits peak at about 18hrs and then trail off to no increased benefit after 70hrs...

Personally I'd listen to your body and not worry too much in the day+\- range ... when you start getting into more 'extreme' fasting regiments than I'd say it is more important to get into the nitty gritty about what happens when... ... ...