Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Iskander) page 2

Iskander is offline Member
    Shop Now
    It's been a while since I came to these forums, so I suppose an update is in order.

I've made some progress (no more muffin top ) since I started going primal. It's been slow going, but I've only been about 60% primal, so I expected that. I don't know how much I weigh, since I don't own a scale, but my clothes are a bit loose. Before I started primal, I was gaining a few pounds every few weeks, and I saw no end in sight, so I purchased myself some fat-pants (a size larger than I wore). Now, if I don't wear a belt and crank it like crazy, those pants won't even stay on me. I've gone from a size 37 to a size 35 so far. And I've got a lot more muscle (there's a great deal more visible, at least).

Beyond aesthetics, quality of life has gone up by a lot. I've been sick once since I started primal. Used to be that I'd have a cold or flu of some sort at least once a month, if not more. I have energy, I wake up refreshed, and my tolerance for work and weather has improved.

This weekend was probably the best example of improvement that I can list. I'm a huge geek, and I larp. This weekend was an event. We camped in an unheated cabin for two nights, and I didn't freeze. Didn't freeze outside in the snow, either, while everyone around me was shivering and kvetching. I went for 15 hours of fighting, sprinting, jogging, climbing, without getting tired. Ate mostly meat and cheese to keep energy, and even then I didn't need to eat much. Used to be that even twenty minutes of fighting in armour would exhaust me. Now I can't find the point where I have to stop.

And my girl has gotten more into primal, dropping a pant size and seeing similar quality of life improvements to those that I posted.

Now I just need to swing from 60% to 80%.

Edit: I have noticed that I have trouble eating enough vegetables. I tend to eat meat, poultry, and fish heavy meals. My girl doesn't like a lot of veggies, unfortunately, which makes it a bit hard to incorporate them for myself since we cook together. Any suggestions?
    "A man in this world without learning is as a beast of the field."

My Primal Journal

Well, I haven't been overly primal for the last few days. At least in terms of diet. A lot of sugar, and too many self-justifications.

For exercise, I've started alternating strength and endurance training days. Strength is my low rep high weight day, endurance the low weight, high rep day. Today was an Endurance day.

I'm still getting between nine and ten hours of sleep a night, which has been a good amount. I wake up rested, refreshed, and feeling fine. So at least this area doesn't need work. xD

Starting Weight: 190
    Weight at last check: 180
    Current weight: x_x I dunno! No scale.

My Primal Journal

Exercise this week went well. I did some weighted pushups and squats one day, for strength, then some unweighted ones another day for endurance. The last two exercise days this week were a combination of play and sprint. Thursday was some rigorous boffer combat for two hours, and last night was laser tag for half an hour. I've never done laser tag before, and boy was I surprised at just how much effort it takes to sprint up a ramp and storm a fortified position, while keeping low enough to use the waist high walls as cover.

My Primal Journal

Today's food: Coffee, turkey breast, sweet potatoes. And a slice of apple pie (my Thanksgiving indulgence, since I wasn't able to eat any on Thursday). All but the coffee and pie were eaten after my exercises. Coffee and pie were eaten a few hours before exercising.

Today's exercises: 50 pushups, and about a minute of hanging from my pullup bar (lift my feet from the ground, and then hold position for a few seconds, lower back down when it was too much, rest, then go back to it). Followed by some geekery (dancing alone in my living room to Pandora).

Overall: I feel amazing. Pants are a bit too loose now, running out of holes on my belts, etc. And right now I feel fucking energized. As soon as I can move again, I think I'm going back to the floor. With how much effort is going into this geekery/dancing, I might just count it as a sprint.

My Primal Journal

This weekend was a larp weekend. Spent two days hiking, sprinting, and fighting. Food could have been more primal, but I tried to stick to the healthier things (water and gatorade instead of soda, meat and potatoes instead of pasta).

Managed to hurt my foot thanks to shitty boots. I plan on getting some nice ones made by a group that takes a cast of your foot and makes the boot around this shape. Hopefully they'll be better for my feet than the standard shoes and boots are.

My Primal Journal

So, in preparation for a friend's arrival, I decided to try on some clothes I haven't been able to fit into for years. As of three months ago, I couldn't even shove my flab into them without starting to rip the seams and pop off buttons. Tonight, they slid on easy as pie and sit a little loose.

Boo-fucking-yah.

My Primal Journal

So, I used FitDay for the first time.

Calories: 2044
    Fat: 164.9
    Carbs: 104.9
    Protein: 48.4

I definitely need to figure out how to reverse my carb and protein numbers. Too many of my favourite foods have a high fat, but almost equally high carb, content. >_<

Given that today was a fairly low carb day for me, I can only imagine that I haven't been eating nearly as low carb as I thought. Disappointing, but an eye opener nonetheless. Tomorrow I'll try to do better.

My Primal Journal

Numbers for today.

Calories: 2275
    Fat: 171.9
    Carbs: 87.3
    Protein: 114

So, better than yesterday.

My Primal Journal

A few cool milestones.

-Tonight I've finally gotten rid of all sugar in my coffee, and more importantly, the coffee no longer tastes like ass without it.
    -My clothes are all a little loose, and I have to wear belts with jeans that fit snugly a month or two ago.
    -Since I've started eating primally and doing "lifting heavy things" workouts, I've gained a good deal of visible muscle mass. I'm lifting weights that are twice as heavy as when I started.
    -For the first time, friends ask my girl and I if they can come over for our homemade cooking instead of suggesting we eat out.

All in all, I'd say I've done fairly well for myself. Improved mood, improved sleep, improved health, less flab, more muscle, delicious food... This is the good life.

My Primal Journal

'Kay, so, I'm back around now that the challenge is going on. And I'm tweaking it a bit to suit what's going on in my life right now.

In addition to the regular Primal Challenge, I'm going to be doing some things to make my house (it's new, and all that) a place that's actually supportive of primal.

Kitchen:
    -Cleaning out grains from the pantry. Getting rid of shit like doritoes and crackers. Gotta leave some cereal for the non-primal housemates, but whatever.
    -Setting up our 4 crockpots to be constantly making something (stew, yogurt, slow cooked meat, etc).
    -Setting up an actual cooking schedule, and keeping track of what we're planning on making, so we never get stuck buying or making shit because we ran out of meat and veggies randomly.

Bedroom:
    -I've already started sleeping without alarms. Well, more accurately, I've started waking up without them. I'll continue doing this.
    -I want to figure out a way to block out the street lights from outside, without also blocking out the sunlight that comes in in the morning.

Yard:
    -Setting up a tire so I can do my sledgehammer exercise.
    -Improving on the firepit so friends and I can actually sit around the fire at night and devour delicious delicious meat.

My Primal Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast