BOH (inches):
    Starting value: 1.8
    Last week's value: 0.9
    This week's value: 0.9

Weight (lbs):
    Starting value: 226
    Last week's value: 213
    This week's value: 215

My journal was deleted yesterday by admin, so I am starting again.

To recap the intro: Male, 50. Got older & more sedentary. Gained weight. Maxed out at 250+ lbs. Current goal is to lose the belly overhang. Tracking weight and BOH weekly - typically on Sunday morning, before breakfast.

BOH is something I made up. Belly OverHang = (circumference at belly - circumference below belly)/pi
    Units are inches.
    Last edited by ekba09; 12-02-2015 at 07:45 PM.

Boo hiss. I lost the radish stuffed bok choy instructions you so kindly shared. I remember that it's a variation on turnip cake made from daikon radish (a staple in our house) and leek. Seasonings? Steaming time?

Any chance of getting your journal back or was it a case of too bad so sad?

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

It's too bad so sad on the old journal.

Seasoning in the radish thing was just salt and white pepper. I guess the chopped shrimp could count as seasoning (or some kind of pork or mushrooms as options). Steam for 30-45 minutes.

It has been 6 months since I started my (original) journal. So I thought I would summarize my progress, which experiments have worked, which have not, and which are inconclusive.

I have been able to cut the belly overhang in half, from 1.8 inches to 0.9 inches. It is still a potbelly, but there is definite progress. Clothes fit better. Some pants try to fall down. I had to buy new, smaller belts.

My weight dropped from 226 to 213 (if I ignore Thanksgiving). According to my doctor - this makes me overweight, and no longer obese. That is completely arbitrary, but nice anyway.

Looking at my notes, I have moved my metrics when I have eaten either low carb (ave 50 gms/day) or high carb low fat (ave 10% fat).

The biggest correlation with weight loss is whether I am home or traveling. I have lost 13 lbs during the 15 weeks I have been home, and I am neutral weight during the 11 weeks I have travelled (either for work or vacation).

Based on the data I have, I do not see any correlation with exercise level, or probiotic use, or prebiotic consumption. There has not been a great deal of variation in exercise level to really see an effect.

Going forward, I plan to track some things more closely, including sleep and alcohol consumption. And I will try to make a significant change in exercise to try to see an effect.
    Last edited by ekba09; 12-01-2015 at 04:36 PM.

Ah thank you, it was the shrimp I was forgetting. Personally, I think you're very impressive at holding steady when traveling, especially given the number of social events you have to attend, where going with the flow may be more important to business than toeing the diet line.

Sorry to hear about your old journal

Nice to read about your progress

interesting the low carb or low fat thing. it's in line with what TQP's been telling me.
    Music of the day/week/month/whatever:

K.A.A.N. - L.T.N. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWocmse1Ef4

Yes - the low carb and the low fat things both work for me. I don't know if it is some magic of macro ratios (= biochemistry I don't understand) or just that in both cases I tend to eat less overall because I feel full with less food. I do like to switch it up - low carb much of the time, with some high carb low fat potato or fruit days once or twice a week.

It might be as simple as high fat with high carb is too easy to overeat.

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Welcome back, sorry your old journal was deleted.
    I am discouraged that you got the response from admin that you did. From my work experience I would have expected it to be found on a backup and reloaded.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Yeah - there seemed to be little interest in recovering the journal. I recall that Namelesswonder mentioned that, for some reason, in MDA world deleted is really deleted. I'll get over it - but I reserve the right to make snarky comments about admins.

On the food front - dinner ended up being 3 beers and some happy hour meatballs with an old friend who unexpectedly came back to work at my company. Had not seen him in probably 15 years. Primal tribalism with non-primal food. A good time.

Shop Now
    Sunday Morning Data:

BOH (inches):
    Starting value: 1.8
    Last week's value: 0.9
    This week's value: 0.9

Weight (lbs):
    Starting value: 226
    Last week's value: 215
    This week's value: 213

Back to pre-Thanksgiving numbers. 5 mile walk this morning. First day this season it was below freezing the entire time. It was sunny (once the sun was up) and there was no wind, so it was not bad at all. I did finally get some shoes for colder weather. Zero drop Merrells. They are pretty comfortable, keep pointy rocks from hurting, let my toes move around, and keep my feet warm enough.

I am home all this week. Veggie pickup on Tuesday.