Thread: Grass Fed Ground Beef Cooking Time page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Question Grass Fed Ground Beef Cooking Time

Primal Fuel
    I've read that you should cook grass-fed steaks about 30% shorter time than regular ones and was wondering if the same holds true for grass-fed ground beef.

My family wants me to cook my famous meatloaf recipe for them and I am planning on using grass-fed. Was wondering if I need to shorten the cooking time?

Any comments are appreciated.

lev96 is offline Member
    I am very new to this so I am not an expert and also haven't figured out timing for recipes. The one suggestion I do have, is to use a leave-in thermometer and go by the temperature instead of time. However, I read somewhere (don't remember where) then the temperatures for measuring doneness should be lower for grass fed beef than conventional. If anyone has a temperature listing please provide, because my preliminary search didn't get what I was looking for.

One tip about cooking for a temperature that is very important, is that internal temp continues to rise for a few minutes even after removing from the oven.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    I would like any info on this too. I'm getting my first order of grass fed beef tomorrow, and I don't want to waste any of it.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know but I would love to see your famous meatloaf recipe! I've been wondering how to make it without the breadcrumbs.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if the cooking time is different but it does cook up differently. It browns better and doesn't produce as much water. Sorry, I have never made a meatloaf so I don't know about the time.

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    I don't know but I would love to see your famous meatloaf recipe! I've been wondering how to make it without the breadcrumbs.
    I should actually give credit where it is due. I got the recipe from a lady that goes by the name of Betty Crocker.
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/...8-d252643ca66a

But I've been making it for years and get requests from my family all the time for it -- so they call it "my" meatloaf. This was my first attempt at beginning to "primalize" it. I used pork rinds last night in place of the bread or bread crumbs. Worked great!

Now I need to find good substitutes for the Worcestershire and some BBQ sauce w/o alot of sugar.

FWIW, I cooked it the full 1:15 at 350 degrees. Using the 70% rule, at about 55 minutes I checked it with a meat thermometer and it was at 125 degrees so I let it run the whole time. It was only slightly drier (to me) than usual but it still got devoured.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Golf View Post
    I've read that you should cook grass-fed steaks about 30% shorter time than regular ones and was wondering if the same holds true for grass-fed ground beef.
    You can eat a steak more-or-less raw, because only the surface has been exposed to bacteria (and even that's scorched in the pan).

Did you buy the meat ground or did you grind it? If it's been through a grinder in a distributer somewhere and maybe a little while before you bought it, then it's had the chance to get bacteria you wouldn't want in there over a much larger surface area and then sit around. (OK maybe not "sit around", because this may be frozen not chilled meat.) For steak tartare, you'd grind meat yourself for that reason.

I'd suggest it's best that it's cooked thoroughly. Of course, with something that has a long cooking time a few minutes either way isn't going to make much of a difference. I guess in a catering situation - if they were scrupulous enough - they'd probably test to check something like that had got up to a sufficient temperature internally by pushing a temperature probe into it. Failing that, the best way to ensure that it has is probably to cook for the recommended time.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.