Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How did you kick the caffeine habit? page

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member

How did you kick the caffeine habit?

Shop Now
    I've been drinking coffee since I was 18. (37 now). I have thought that it would be healthier for me to quit caffeine...

Everytime i tried, the headaches sent me right back to drinking it every day... I've delivered 3 babies without drugs... but for some reason, quitting coffee is harder to me...

I just found out that coffee boosts cortisol levels. That changes things.

Why in the hell would i want the additional belly fat that that brings?

Does anyone have any tips/tricks for kicking the habit?

Thanks!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I still drink one cup each morning. I don't see why it's unhealthy. However, if you want to quit for whatever reason, you will need to wean yourself off of it, as it is like a drug in many respects. Instead of a full cup like you normally drink, cut down by 25% for one week, 50% the next week, and 75% the third week, and you should be able to drop it altogether after that.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I just went cold turkey on it. It sucked for about 2 days, but after that no problem. I do drink decaff coffee now and tea. Switching to that helped.

I guess I just don't like the idea that if I were stranded somewhere or there was an emergency, if I don't have coffee... I'd be useless. I don't want to have an addiction to a drug daily. Thats all

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    +1 to cold turkey. Although it was only 1-2 cups of strong white tea a day and it was still pretty bad for a couple of days. Grr . Never again.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

xendaddy is offline Member
    I'm working on changing a lot in my life, so I've kept my caffeine vice. If it's not making me sick, why change it? I did stop putting cream and sugar in my daily cup, though. Besides, doesn't drinking coffee prevent Alzheimer's?

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Cold turkey. It sucks like a hoover, but it's the only way I've managed it successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by xendaddy View Post
    I'm working on changing a lot in my life, so I've kept my caffeine vice. If it's not making me sick, why change it? I did stop putting cream and sugar in my daily cup, though. Besides, doesn't drinking coffee prevent Alzheimer's?
    Thats what I've been thinking for about 3 weeks. I even thought that its so nice to enjoy with my man in the mornings... and when he makes me some and brings it to me in bed... awe... makes me love him more...

But I guess i could always have him boil some water and add lemon too... .

The cortisol thing was the last straw... i've got baby belly... gotta eliminate anything that holds onto belly fat. hehe

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
    Does anyone have any tips/tricks for kicking the habit?
    Lifehacker has a kind of obsession with coffee - usually articles on "the perfect cup" or "the best coffee maker" - that sort of thing. However, they recently had an article on the effects of caffeine, particularly with regard to coffee.

Interesting stuff. Apparently, people coming out of anaesthesia frequently report headaches, but can you guess why?

Why do so many patients coming out of anesthesia after major surgery feel a headache? It's because, in most cases, they're not used to going so long without coffee.
    Lifehacker suggests it takes ten days before you adjust to not having coffee. Their advice on kicking the habit:

Once you know your levels, map out a multi-week process of scaling down, and stick to it. Jason also suggests that dependency kicking is a good time to start taking walks, doing breathing exercises, or other mind-clearing things, because, in his experience, their effects are much greater when caffeine is not so much a part of your make-up.
    http://lifehacker.com/5585217/what-c...-to-your-brain

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    Yea caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands to release adrenaline and cortisol at the same time. Eventually this leads to adrenal fatigue.

Try to sleep more and up the water intake to get it out of your system quicker. One thing i like to replace tea/coffee: little ginseng bottles. you can get them at asian supermarkets, little vials of chinese ginseng. no caffeine and you can pour the tiny guy into some hot water. ginseng is great for energy and overall vitality if you take it regularly. adding to hot water definitely mimics having a cup of tea/coffee for me

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast