Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you kick the caffeine habit? page 3

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ugh, I've been trying to give up coffee forever because I get the adrenaline/cortisol connection and I don't think it's a good idea to rely on coffee for energy but without it I am really worthless. I only drink one (usually small) coffee a day mid morning and I really feel like I still need it but I am hoping to get to the point soon that I have enough energy without it and I can use coffee as an occasional treat or for the rare times I need to stay up late or whatever. Sorry, I have no idea how to kick the habit. Maybe just try to not have it on the days where you got a good nights rest the night before and go from there...

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I tried it a while ago cold turkey, and had major headaches for 2-3 days. It was miserable. I slid back into my routine shortly afterward, and I'm keeping it to 3 cups a day most of the time. I think I'll cut that to 2 without much trouble, one in the morning and then my 2:30pm cup.

I think that even if I didn't get the headaches I'd still drink coffee. It's not that I notice an energy boost or anything, I just really like having a cup of coffee in the morning. It's yummy.

I've cut out all bread, pasta, rice, cereal, milk, peanuts, peanut butter, chocolate bars, chips and dip, nachos, chicken fingers, garlic toast, potatoes, beans, and almost all the alcohol from my diet this year. I am not fucking giving up my coffee too.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    I tried it a while ago cold turkey, and had major headaches for 2-3 days. It was miserable. I slid back into my routine shortly afterward, and I'm keeping it to 3 cups a day most of the time. I think I'll cut that to 2 without much trouble, one in the morning and then my 2:30pm cup.

I think that even if I didn't get the headaches I'd still drink coffee. It's not that I notice an energy boost or anything, I just really like having a cup of coffee in the morning. It's yummy.

I've cut out all bread, pasta, rice, cereal, milk, peanuts, peanut butter, chocolate bars, chips and dip, nachos, chicken fingers, garlic toast, potatoes, beans, and almost all the alcohol from my diet this year. I am not fucking giving up my coffee too.

honestly, I dont think you really have to. As far as cortisol/adrenaline being released, I dont think we realize how often these hormones are released in our body anyway. any form of weightlifting will release both of those hormones, as well as running, seeing a scary movie, having an argument, having intense sex, eating too much, what have you. This thread is a great example of how trying to give up coffee due to fear of elevated cortisol is actually stressing people out MORE. coffee is not going to make or break you, or lead to adrenal failure imo, especially if you are eating well and moving often (which, if youre on this forum, you probably are). pounding, lets say, 5 cups a day will certainly not help your cortisol levels at all, though, and excessive caffeine drinking like this could lead to adrenal issues, possibly.

I personally switched to decaf because I was having trouble going to sleep, and I wanted to be more in tune with my natural (not caffeine-stimulated) energy levels throughout the day. I will have a 1/2 caf or full-caf, im feeling sassy, during an IF to boost my metabolism, something that martin from LG recommends from time to time.

I love my coffee press and grinder, and love savoring the flavor of fair trade and organic coffees from around the world. Every time I have a good cup, it relaxes me, and makes me smile and appreciate life. cortisol who?

oh and p.s. Mark Sisson likes his coffee too, last time I checked.
    Last edited by lmyers04; 07-22-2010 at 10:02 AM.

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I like the switching to decaf idea! I do love the taste of coffee... mmmm! I don't drink an afternoon cup. I usually drink about 2-3 cups before noon.

I am feeling a ton better and more energy now in the morning thanks to primal eating and vitamin D... It makes me want to give up caffeine because I honestly don't need the boost.

I drink now for the ritual/flavor and to avoid headaches.

Quote Originally Posted by LemonFreshScent View Post
    Thanks everyone! I like the switching to decaf idea! I do love the taste of coffee... mmmm! I don't drink an afternoon cup. I usually drink about 2-3 cups before noon.

I am feeling a ton better and more energy now in the morning thanks to primal eating and vitamin D... It makes me want to give up caffeine because I honestly don't need the boost.

I drink now for the ritual/flavor and to avoid headaches.
    I had headaches for about a week. They do go away, though, so perhaps give it another go soon. At first I thought taste would be compromised with decaf, but I find I cannot tell the difference at all......and I'm sort of a coffee snob, too! I also find comfort in routine and ritual.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I love coffee, black with no sugar! Don't give it up! Martin from LG and Mark sisson both enjoy their coffee.

Does the intense sex thing pertain to Males or females??
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

LemonFreshScent is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrappler View Post
    Does the intense sex thing pertain to Males or females??
    In this case... cortisol... shmortisol... hehe

lol, im just wondering, i mean, the guys getting the workout right? I got mad hungry last night 0_o
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

id say both parties are having significant hormonal fluctuations....but I'd probably guess the male would be at least burning more calories?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hell yeah, if that wasn't a calorie burning high intensity workout, i dont know what is -___-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast