Thread: How many calories do I need page

workinhard is offline Senior Member

Cool How many calories do I need

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok so I've been primal for about two months... I'd say about 85% of the time. Weight loss is pretty good, workouts have been fair (Crazy job, planning wedding, etc).

My question is, I've seen a couple of people saying somehwere between 2500-3000 calories works for them!

This seems like a ton. I track on FITDAY most of the time, and find myself at around 1500-1700 calories a lot of the time. I'm 6 feet tall, 215 pounds. Looking to slim down and tone up. My ideal weight is probably right around 200, as i'm pretty broad.

Help is appreciated.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Lyle McDonald (google for more information if you like) provided a rough guestimate of maintenance calories for invidiuals:

14-16 calories per lb per day.

For your current weight of 215, that is 3010 - 3440. To be clear, maintenance is defined as the intake in which you don't lose weight at all (ie: maintain). There are more complex ways to figure out your daily expenditure, but this is as good as it gets for a 2 second calculation.

Obviously, activities and goals factor in as well. From what I read and have experienced personally, you want to at least get 1 g/lb of protein (215 g /day for you) to help prevent muscle loss during weight loss, at least some fats (I think .1 g /lb at LEAST, not sure), and the rest depends on your goals.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I'll add, he also recommends 10-12 cal/lb for weight loss. So for you that is: 2150 - 2580.

IMHO - your current intake seems low, but it depends on your macro-breakdown (getting enough protein/fats) and your activity.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I would be careful with the calories. I find that most calculators overestimate for me at least. I am 5'9", 165 or so, and 39 years old. Because most of my day is working in an office, I don't burn a lot of calories. If I eat over 2000 per day, then start gaining. So, I keep around 1600-1900 based on the level of my activity.

I think you have to consider several factors such as age and activity before going to calories.

dcrevenge is offline Junior Member
    I agree, I am 6' and 205, I need to be under 2k per day to lose weight. I sit most all day at work.

workinhard is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all.

I'm at a desk job at work myself, so maybe that's why? I play 2 softball games a week, and lift twice a week usually. I guess I'll just listen to my body and do what it says!

fxdwgmikeb is offline Senior Member
    I find this works well.
    Be hungry= Loose
    Be full= maintain
    Stuff yourself=Gain

This assumes you are eating the right foods. If you are off the blood glucose roller coaster than just listen to your body. No calculator needed. Yeah!