Thread: Going Toe to Toe with injury page

Velocity is offline Senior Member

Going Toe to Toe with injury

Shop Now
    Let me first say that I can be quite stubborn when it comes to fitness and my training these days. I don't much like time off.

But that said, this Sunday I dang near broke my toe (or at the least, I don't think I broke it: see below). No joke. My small toe on my right foot decided to meet forcefully with my bathroom door as I walked into the bathroom. I had just enough self-restraint to not rewrite the book on spur-of-the-moment cursing salvos. It effectively sidelined me from my usual Monday training, but I did do work yesterday. And outside of bumping it a couple times, it was largely okay, but I couldn't do pushups on both feet because the pressure exerted onto that toe was too great. (So I did one-legged.)

Now, it's been almost three days and here are the current symptoms:

1) I can put full pressure on that side of my foot but while walking, it's not very easy; I have to be wearing something like sandals or my VFF.
    2) I can still wiggle and move the toe manually with virtually no pain. There's also no pain upon tactile stimulation.
    3) There seems to be some mild discoloration at the base of the toe and the one next to it.
    4) The toe is still properly aligned.
    5) It feels as if there is some swelling in the joint area of the toe, I believe in the area adjoining the proximal and middle phalanx (i.e. right at the large "knuckle" of the toe).
    6) Laying on my side with my leg dangling off the bed leads to an odd feeling of it being "pulled" or something similar. My foot on the bed (instep down) just feels... well, I can't really describe it accurately.

Based on all this I'm guessing at a badly jammed or perhaps sprained toe (is there such a thing as a sprained fifth toe?). But in the interest of not wanting to play doctor and be wrong, I'm probably going to hobble on over to the student health center on campus and see someone with more knowledge than me. It just stinks because I don't like laying around being lazy, I like walking and exercising, and I have stuff to do (haha).

"Is there a doctor in the house?"

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I can't help on the toe diagnosis, but I'll tell you this:

In April 2009, I tore my hamstring. Badly. (The bruising is STILL visible today!)

I kept training -- pushups, pullups, ab work...anything I could manage -- and finished recovery stronger than I started. So, be creative and don't reinjure yourself, but keep on cruising!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I broke my ankle on March 31, which mangled up all the soft tissues in my foot as well, which didn't stop me from hobbling around the gym on my compression boot and doing tons of upper body work.

Check out a rowing machine. Great work-out, no weight on the foot, and you can regulate the speed and range of motion.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm planning on doing a bit of an upper body circuit later. Back bridges, planks (on one leg... haha), pushup varieties (also on one leg...), some specific leg work (like wall sits, 1-leg wall sits, BW squats)...