Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you stay motivated at the end of the day? page

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member

How do you stay motivated at the end of the day?

Primal Fuel
    I'm not sure where this belongs,

I wake up, super excited to start another primal day, work out, eat right. I do well for the first 8-10 hours of the day. By dinner time my motivation sort of falls apart. I work out at night, but I never want to. ( I have to wait for my husband to get home so he can watch our 5 year old) and by the time night falls, it is like I cant stay focused.

How do you do it? What helps? Any suggestions?
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I make sure my workout is something I enjoy, not something I dread and therefore have an excuse to put it off. If I planned to lift weights after work but when the time comes and I really don't feel like it, I would do yoga or go for a walk or something. It's not the end of the world. But the more consistent you are, and the more frequently you get over those motivation hurdles, the easier it is down the road. Just think to yourself how great you will feel after you do the workout - not just physically but mentally because you accomplished your goal for the day.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Take the 5 year old to the park and chase him around. Lift him to grab the monkey bars, climb after him, PLAY!

If you don't LIKE your workout program, you won't stick with it long term.

I like doing weights, but hate cardio. So, for cardio, I turn off the idiot box, push the computer away and go to something else. Doing 20 min of cardio at night won't make up for sitting and doing nothin all day.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    The eating part I have down. Workouts... I can't work out after work. No way, no how. If it happens it has to be in the morning. I just know that about myself and work with it.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Some thoughts:

Is there any way you could switch your schedule around to work out in the morning?

I've been known to tell myself that I can do a mini-workout -- say, 4 hill sprints instead of 8, just to get myself going. If I still feel like quitting after the abbreviated version, I can. But I almost never do.

Self-talk/imagery is often helpful. Remember what you're working for. What motivates you overall? Focus on that, and remember that you're taking a critical step NOW, TODAY, toward your goal.

Accountability partner?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I concur with what other folks have said here: if you don't like it, you won't stick with it. My sprints make look like the neighborhood freak. I don't care, it gets my sprints in. I cannot work out in the morning. I'm too zonked to do anything but walk without hurting myself. So I don't. I've turned my weights routine into a game.
    Do what works for you. Chase your 5 y/o. Play airplane and piggy back and other games with him. Play Jungle with him and get bear crawling and hopping and "flying." Climb that tree. Go to the playground with him and just do what he does. Do yoga when you get up.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

PoisonApple is offline Senior Member
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I should just read this page every time I don't feel like working out. This week I'm super sun burned from the beach, and I was stung by several jellyfish so I'm going to minimize my workout, I cant wait to try some of the ideas you all suggested. As for morning Yoga, what positions are best?
    Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Sun salutations. Do a few rounds of that. It incorporates several poses.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

primalpatty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    The eating part I have down. Workouts... I can't work out after work. No way, no how. If it happens it has to be in the morning. I just know that about myself and work with it.
    +1
    Know thyself.

Mr.Muscles is offline Junior Member
    when i dont feel motivated to work out. i do this, every time you go to the bathroom( to use the toilet, take a shower, check your face, wash your hands, just walking inthere for no reason, ANYTHING) do an mini work out. so lets say i go to brush my teeth, once i walk out, ill do as many pushups as i can or ill do 10 pull ups or 7 L sits(just mix it up)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast