Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More support for my theory... page

FDgreen is offline Member

More support for my theory...

Primal Fuel
    My theory: Most people on this site are not representative of the human population as a whole, and are instead much more sensitive and/or allergic to gluten, dairy, etc.

People on here always claim that evolution requires "10,000 years" and use that as a justification why grains, even gluten free grains, and dairy, nightshades, etc. are "bad" for people -- because we haven't evolved to eat them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/sc...me&ref=general

Oops, looks like evolution happens a lot faster than 10,000 years. There goes that idea. Looks like "Primal CW" to me.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I claim no such thing. I eat what makes me feel better; I don't eat foods that don't make me feel good. This is a solitary venture for me. I say again: FOR ME.

Although you do have an interesting point that people on this site are more likely to be gluten and or lactose intolerance.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Well, I think many people come here because they are gluten/lactose intolerant, so there's probably a greater percentage here than the population as a whole. But I, for one, am perfectly fine with lactose (haven't added any gluten back in) and so I continue to eat it. Whatever floats your boat.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I don't care how long in terms of years evolution happens. I care that if I go to any remote place in the world RIGHT NOW I won't see any bread trees, cereal fields or bagel bushes. I know that if i was in such an environment, any grain I picked up would be unedible and potentially toxic and wouldn't supply me with any nutrients. I know that I would find vegetation, nuts, seeds and animals to eat, so I eat those.

(PS: I'm aware cereal grains grow in fields, I was saying specifically a field of cereal that you could put in milk or whatever people do with it)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FDgreen View Post
    My theory: Most people on this site are not representative of the human population as a whole, and are instead much more sensitive and/or allergic to gluten, dairy, etc.

People on here always claim that evolution requires "10,000 years" and use that as a justification why grains, even gluten free grains, and dairy, nightshades, etc. are "bad" for people -- because we haven't evolved to eat them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/sc...me&ref=general

Oops, looks like evolution happens a lot faster than 10,000 years. There goes that idea. Looks like "Primal CW" to me.
    I didn't even read this all the way, but how does that disprove that grains are bad for you? I wouldn't care if they were around since the dawn of man, our bodies can survive on a grain based diet, but they won't thrive on one. We're organism that just like any other, will cling to life even in sub-optimal conditions, that doesn't equate a life, but merely an existence.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You may be right that the people on this site are not a cross-sectional random sample of the world population. Ah, sorry but duh.

Couple of points - evolution is not an on/off thing, where some subpopulations of humans have fully adapted to grains or milk, and others haven't adopted at all. Realistically, we have all probably evolved to some extent to handle grains somewhat better than people in the past. Do we handle them as well as we handle the food we originally evolved eating? The evidence is to me strikingly clear that on average, humans don't handle them all that well. The evidence also seems abundantly clear that there is a lot of individual variation in these things. Perhaps those vegan bodybuilders recently discussed are among the most-adapted humans to a high grains and plant toxin environment, whereas I am among the less-adapted. I do know that eating this way makes me personally a whole holy heck of a lot healthier.

Russ is offline Senior Member
    Here is a pro-tip, evolution happens constantly . . . people are born and die every day, its continuous, but slow. I was under the assumption that the 10,000 years of grains in our diet cannot (at least fully) change our dietary system that has been evolving for millions of years. The proof is in the pudding, people feel better, manage their weight better, and have less health problems when eating like this.

I personally a not lactose intolerant, and to the best of my knowledge am not gluten intolerant etc, i came to this diet to lose weight, but stayed for the health.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Confusion between Adaptation and Evolution...

Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations. After a population splits into smaller groups, these groups evolve independently and may eventually diversify into new species.

Adaptation is the evolutionary process whereby a population becomes better suited to its habitat. This process takes place over many generations, and is one of the basic phenomena of biology.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    we discussed this in another thread. it's irrelevant. there just aren't selective pressures for grain consumption because we can reproduce before the long term effects of grain conumption become apparent.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ion#post163918

Quote Originally Posted by jturk
    Yes, as has been said, there is no selection pressure promoting grain tolerance, as it has no effect on reproductive potential. So no, we won't evolve towards grain tolerance.

Unfortunately, barring some unforeseen catastrophic selection pressure, we're pretty much done evolving towards any specific goal (like improved grain tolerance) since now in modern society most everyone outlives their reproductive period. Population genetics may continue to shift over time (random mutation, genetic drift, etc.), but we're pretty much done evolving by natural selection. Actually, it's possible that our species will become less rational beings with worse judgment, as the genes of those who continue to reproduce in great numbers in spite of scarce resources (i.e. poor decision making) will make an increasingly greater proportion of our species' genome. To the extent that this type of behavior and decision making process is genetically influenced, these types of behaviors will be selected for. So yeah, this may be the pinnacle for us hominids
    Last edited by cillakat; 07-21-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: clarifying quote attribution

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm fairly sure we all agree that evolution is still happening... as long as we continue to breed there will be selective pressures.

This article doesn't disprove the ideas of PB at all...

The variant gene rapidly degrades alcohol to a chemical that is not intoxicating but makes people flush, leaving many people of Asian descent a legacy of turning red in the face when they drink alcohol.
    They still get drunk... ... so obviously the rice alcohol still has an effect... ...

as such we have different levels of tolerance to grains... but they still f*** with us... ... ...

survival does not equate optimal health.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast