Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spam Posts

Spam Posts

Shop Now
    This forum is one of the best resources for primal nutrition - for noobs and vets. However, I log on today and over half the posts on the timeline are football streams, soccer streams and/or tennis streams. Is there no way these posts can be removed? Totally clogging up the timeline, puts me off coming here.

Spam Posts

Yes the admin people could use a combination of automatic scripts to instantly remove/block certain posts based on certain filters and flag the spanner account to be banned - any post that slips through the filter rule could QUICKLY be removed and the spanner account banned by human admin intervention.

They choose not to - this choice makes legitimate users unhappy and spanners happy.

A couple days ago Mark asked for feed back about three site :

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...s-daily-apple/

Feedback submitted! These spam posts not only detract from the content of the site, they make the timeline (which used to be my favourite feature) really frustrating to use

The spam is way worse at weekends. Usually cleaned up by Monday.
    Started Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, and 5' 1", reached goal weight in 5 months.
    Lowest weight 93lbs - too thin. Now stable at around 100lbs much better weight for me at my age.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Simple fix - automated scripts on the system and a handful of authorised volunteer spam deleters in distributed time zones around the world.

Spam threads that slip through the system will be deleted in minutes of posting by these volunteers - and the accounts can be flagged for a system admin to review for deleting.

I agree. Anyone with Admin rights could easily block most of them. This is one of the most valued forums in the Paleo/Primal community but it is being ruined by the abundance of spam. It's kind of funny, isn't it? Advertisement links are getting through freely while videos and links from members are often held for "moderation" and never released.

I now just hover momentarily over all new postings and can see if it is spam and therefore, not actually click to open. But, you're correct, more than half of new postings on days leading up to weekends, are often spam.

I love MDA so this criticism is intended to be constructive. A few more admin monitors would really help. In Mark's recent blog on Thursday, he announced that MDA is scheduled to be redesigned and he asked for our input on how to make it better. This spam issue may be one we need to weigh in on. What Will Happen with Mark’s Daily Apple? | Mark's Daily Apple

It's kind of funny, isn't it? Advertisement links are getting through freely while videos and links from members are often held for "moderation" and never released.
    So now, I'm going to edit my own post and quote myself to make a point. I just went to the blog I mentioned, and voiced this same concern about how freely spam is posted. But, my comment is being held for "Moderation". Hopefully, a moderator will read it and release it soon, but I wish they would read some of those "live-streaming" posts, instead. Still love them, but as my friend Gorbag often says, I'm just sayin'.

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

On the Forum, I just addressed the frequency of spam posts on the Forum. I also invited others to review this blog posting and weigh in on it if they agree that the spam posts, mostly links to live-streaming sports events leading up to weekends, is of concern to them. On a recent weekend, one page of “Today’s Posts” were such.

Other than that, I wouldn’t change much. I hope you don’t make wholesale changes just for the sake of change. When I’m browsing a site, familiar elements on different pages are my sign-posts or way-marks. I dislike looking for familiar things on redesigned pages that are not longer familiar.

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...#ixzz3sE3uTV74
    Last edited by John Caton; 11-22-2015 at 05:17 AM.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    It is much worse during football season.
    I filled out Marks site redesign feedback sheet and I think I mentioned this as an issue. Hopefully a lot of others will do so.
    I'm on pretty much daily and I'd be willing to "pull the trigger" on the spam posts, if it was a simple process.
    What I find really annoying is the posters doing this stuff are frequently repeaters, doing it for several weeks before they finally get banished or get tired of coming up with headers.
    I also use John Caton's technique of hovering, saves me popping up a number of new tabs as I skim through the new posts.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

It's gotten ridiculous.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Rig D View Post
    It is much worse during football season.
    I filled out Marks site redesign feedback sheet and I think I mentioned this as an issue. Hopefully a lot of others will do so.
    I'm on pretty much daily and I'd be willing to "pull the trigger" on the spam posts, if it was a simple process.
    What I find really annoying is the posters doing this stuff are frequently repeaters, doing it for several weeks before they finally get banished or get tired of coming up with headers.
    I also use John Caton's technique of hovering, saves me popping up a number of new tabs as I skim through the new posts.
    Hovering long enough to see the content helps, but it is still disappointing because the posts' titles are often intriguing and make me want to open them and maybe contribute something related to the title.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Simple fix - automated scripts on the system and a handful of authorised volunteer spam deleters in distributed time zones around the world.

Spam threads that slip through the system will be deleted in minutes of posting by these volunteers - and the accounts can be flagged for a system admin to review for deleting.
    +1. A few users who are active and trustworthy should be given limited moderator powers, just to keep spam under control. Anti-spam modifications to the software would be good too, but they will become obsolete as the spammers adapt.