Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post-workout Carbs: Good or Bad? page

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member

Post-workout Carbs: Good or Bad?

Primal Fuel
    It is commonly accepted in the body building community that one should take (starchy) carbs immediately after a workout (ie in your post-workout protein shake) and then again in the post-workout meal, say, an hour after finishing the workout.

What are people's opinion on this? In the body building world, its considered a given.

DS

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    I think it depends on your goals........If building muscle is the focus, then insulin is your friend along with a positive energy balance.
    Carbs are basically to help replenish glycogen and the resulting initial insulin response helps move that glucose into your muscles so that you have the energy for your next workout along with amino acids that provide protein synthesis. If a person, and in your scenario a body builder, is eating to build muscle then they have all the glucose that is needed ( from diet) to facilitate protein synthesis and a normal pwo meal will still get the job done, there is no need for a big insulin response. There's also no need for quick absorbing carbs in a pwo drink...the whey protein powder all on its own will be enough to facilitate that insulin response.........it's a little confusing and most of that confusion is primarily based on individual goals, what is optimal for you, can be the total opposite for someone else.

DiscoStew is offline Junior Member
    I used to add a scoop of Gatorade powder, to get the insulin spike, to my pwo shake but stopped doing that after joining the PB bandwagon.....Will be interesting to see if dropping the Gatorade powder from my pwo shake that helps with my....dare I say.....cutting :-)

For time being, my focus is fat loss (single digit bodyfat)....

DS

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    I'd say good.

If you're lifting weights and trying to cut down to single digit BF, then a side goal (but just as important as the main goal) should be to retain as much muscle as possible during your cut. Otherwise, why not just not eat, you'll drop weight no problem!

Anyway, carbs help elicit an anabolic response, and if kept strictly post-workout, then its not a bad thing at all.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Good if performance/muscle gains are your goals.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Good if performance/muscle gains are your goals.
    +1

A PWO sweet potato lets me keep kicking ass in the gym for each and every one of my workouts. I spent a few months without, just as a test, and even when mentally pushing myself past my boundaries, it just wasn't the same.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I IF post workout. Doesn't eating right after .. like RIGHT after (I've seen guys drink their shake before even changing their clothes) stop the production of HGH? I'd wait an hour...

Edit: My goals are fat loss coupled with strength gains, I figure if you're already single digit lean then I wouldn't be so strict and could have it right away, or just not wait too long. I want to have HGH around pwo to keep burning fat and then eat so insulin can do its thing. Remember though, that insulin works against fat loss, so to speak.

Again, I love to be corrected when wrong, I'm here to learn after all ...
    Last edited by iniQuity; 07-21-2010 at 12:29 PM.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chefgerry View Post
    I think it depends on your goals...
    +1

Good for strength/performance enhancement focus.

Not so good for bodyfat loss focus.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    +1

Good for strength/performance enhancement focus.

Not so good for bodyfat loss focus.
    Must the two be so separate though? I feel I've enjoyed both fat loss AND strength gains through waiting at least an hour prior to consuming any food. However, the strength gains could just come from simply stressing the muscle...

primal_jessjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eating a little starch helps fuel those hungry muscles. I stopped for awhile, but have jumped back into it since realizing the importance of a little carbohydrate after a glycogen-depleting workout. Not always, but at least occasionally. I'll be making this for me and a friend after my Crossfit workout tonight:

2-3 sweet potatoes cut like french fries

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp paprika

1/2 tbsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp cayenne

black pepper to taste

sprinkle of sea salt

1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil

Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, whisk all spices together with the olive oil and then toss the sweet potato spears in the olive oil mixture until all the spears are coated. Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and evenly spread the potato spears on the foil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, turning the spears over half way through the cooking time.

Yummy! Can't forget the steak! ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast