Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused? Are carbs really that important? page 2

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Anything extreme is bad. Cutting out an entire macronutrient is unnecessary and bordering obsessive (been there, done that).
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    I think carbs are just the smoke that comes after the fire. If you eat according to PB/paleo-ish standards, even going as far as to include lots of tubers, you'll find it quite hard to break 150-200g of carbs. Throw in a moderate amount of daily activity, and you're good to go.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Is it truly necessary then to load up on veggies according to Mark's Primal Pyramid?
    I used to be very comfortable answering NO. Today, not so much. I still think you can pretty much get away with it with no problems though. What makes me doubt now more than before is how complex and important the gut ecosystem seems to be. If we are concerned of thriving, not surviving, then maybe a varied diet would promote a more diverse and maybe healthier gut flora as a result. If this is true, we would then have an incentive to diversify our diet regardless of what "our" tissues need to thrive nutritionally wise.
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialSinner View Post
    I used to be very comfortable answering NO. Today, not so much. I still think you can pretty much get away with it with no problems though. What makes me doubt now more than before is how complex and important the gut ecosystem seems to be. If we are concerned of thriving, not surviving, then maybe a varied diet would promote a more diverse and maybe healthier gut flora as a result. If this is true, we would then have an incentive to diversify our diet regardless of what "our" tissues need to thrive nutritionally wise.
    good point. i like high fat, moderate carb, and low protein

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Anything extreme is bad. Cutting out an entire macronutrient is unnecessary and bordering obsessive (been there, done that).
    +1

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    veggi wise, i think roots & tubers are better than your 'greens' for the simple fact theyre more digestable, and more chance youll actually absorb what's in them

just my opinion
    I think this is a really good point. In evolutionary terms, I doubt we ever ate the 'green leafy' stuff. Not all that easy to digest and utilize, low caloric content, bitter taste....why would we have bothered when those tubers (probably near a water source) would have done the trick?

Again, just an opinion.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

MumtazG38 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    veggi wise, i think roots & tubers are better than your 'greens' for the simple fact theyre more digestable, and more chance youll actually absorb what's in them
    But aren't tubers a no no according to the PB and Paleo?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    I think carbs are just the smoke that comes after the fire. If you eat according to PB/paleo-ish standards, even going as far as to include lots of tubers, you'll find it quite hard to break 150-200g of carbs. Throw in a moderate amount of daily activity, and you're good to go.
    Seems as sensible as it gets. That is how I've always seen it, but after reading about how much hardcore influence is put on stacking up on veggies all the time I just got to thinking is all.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    As a one-person experiment, I gravitate towards the slab-of-meat-with-a-handful-of-veg diet style. Trying to cram in more plant matter than I wanted made me give up halfway through meals, feel full/nauseous / hungry again later etc.
    Now having read around various sites, I feel more confident that my body will tell me what it wants. Right now it wants mainly meat, rare to the point of running away. Yesterday it wanted (shock, horror!) an apple with almond butter. This week it's been mainly meat. In fact, now I've given myself permission to fall halfway between "proper" PB and "zero carb" I feel a lot better.

For example, the other day I had a nice fat steak, with just one beetroot (the root plus the leaves) on the side. Yummy!

I do supplement, just in case (and because I have other issues going on).
    This is how my system/brain works also. I like to just follow whatever it is my body is telling me(sensibly of course) that day or at that particular meal and go with the flow. If I FEEL like veggies, which lately I have been craving pretty badly (OMG!), then I'll eat them, even to the point where guilt starts crawling into my mind(after years of portion restricting habits) that I'm overdoing it. But some days I'd rather just have fruits....and some days just meat meat meat (most days). I believe in listening intuitively to my own body and what it's telling me too.

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MumtazG38 View Post
    But aren't tubers a no no according to the PB and Paleo?
    I'm pretty sure yams and/or sweet potatoes are OK in PB.

I think the main thing about carbs is that it is SO easy to overload on them. If you eat too much fat or protein, your body will rebel; but at least for me, if I eat too many carbs, I can just keep going and going and going. So that's something I need to keep an eye on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast