Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite coconut oil & milk brands? page

eglue is offline Member

Favorite coconut oil & milk brands?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

From the recent previous thread, I saw that a lot of you recommended some combination of coconut something...

I was curious to know what are your favorite brands of this stuff. I'm looking to experiment here with it a bit.

Thanks in advance!

selfmyth is offline Junior Member
    Mine has been Tropical Traditions. Very clean tasting oil, none of the toasted flavor a different brand I tried had (indicates that it was over heated to me). They don't sell milk but their shredded coconut was on sale, which I've been using to make coconut milk as needed. I think the flavor is much improved over the canned coconut milk, cheaper in the long run, and creates coconut flour (after drying/processing) as a byproduct. Just wish it wasn't so messy

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I usually buy WF's 365 brand for both the milk and oil..however, Thai Kitchen is my favorite coconut milk.

selfmyth - how are you making coconut milk from the shredded coconut?
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

selfmyth is offline Junior Member
    sheglowspale - I've been following this vid/guide: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/re...oconutMilk.htm

I usually do 2 cups at a time to make it worth the effort but the flavor, no preservatives or possibility of garbage like BPA leeching from the can make it worth while.
    Last edited by selfmyth; 07-21-2010 at 01:28 AM.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    The canned coconut milk I get from the supermarket has a very grainy texture that I didn't really enjoy cold. I like it in curry. I'm going to try freezing it with more ingredients to see if it works better that way.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    wholefoods is cheeeeeeap and yum too!!!!
    thai kitchen coconut milk is great for making cream though!
    Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Wilderness Family Naturals is the tastiest.....the dry powder version.

But generally I buy whatever I can locally at the best price per oz with no additives.
    Last edited by cillakat; 10-11-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: wrong brand! doh :)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i like the thai kitchen also. it's the only one i can find in the regular grocery store with the least amount of additives (guar gum is the only one i think). i have made my own also by soaking shredded unsweetened coconut and adding vanilla and cinnamon. i like that a lot. it's is MUCH thinner than the canned varieties which, i've noticed, thicken up considerably after being refridgerated. i have also tried the refridgerated type by so delicious. we are really trying to replace dairy milk with something else and this offered the most volume with the least amount of work. it's got some additives in it, but i think is fortified with some vitamins etc.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

mayness is offline Senior Member
    I like the Thai Kitchen coconut milk best... I've tried two others (Chaokoh and another brand I can't remember now) but the Thai Kitchen wins in flavor and texture for me.

The only oil I've ever used is Nutiva, because it's the cheapest one at my grocery store.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of Coconut Oil,
    Can someone give me an uncomplicated answer to the expellor pressed coconut oil from Tropical traditions? I have an issue with the taste of coconut oil, and sometimes it makes me really nauseated, so I think I read that the expellor does not have a taste to it.... true? and is it inferior to the other type of oil?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast