Thread: Caloric requirements

Caloric requirements

Shop Now
    I want to double check on how to calculate caloric requirements. I am tiny and have gotten down to a decent body fat percentage. However I am really small, super small boned and will be a hard gainer. I was having a hard time eating enough to gain, and I finally broke down and have been using Cron o meter for the past couple of days. Interestingly, when I plugged in weight lifting and my weight goal of gaining half a pound a week, it said that for days when I lift, I need to eat something like 1650 calories. I was under the impression that I should be eating something to the tune of 2000 plus calories a day. But not according to Cron o meter. Should I be ignoring that and just eat more like 2000, or is this accurate. I am somewhere around 103 right now at 5'5" (and when I say small boned, I am not kidding), but I am hoping to get to around 115 with the gains being lean mass. Also, should I be eating protein and/or calories as if I am at my goal weight or for the body comp I am at right now?

I should probably add that between health issues with my daughter and then myself, I stopped lifting for almost two months, so I am asking all of this as I don't have any personal experiences to draw on to make any conclusion about what to do. In other words, I can't say "well, I was eating at 1650 and made no gains." Because if I had, I wouldn't be asking you this, lol!
    Last edited by Minagelina; 11-16-2015 at 02:59 PM.

I am extremely skeptical of calorie requirement calculators. I honestly don't think you can accurately predict your requirements, unless you try as hard as you can to be a totally average person.

The calorie counters can give you a general estimate of where to start. If I were you I would track my calorie intake for a week to see how many I'm taking in. Add 100-200kcal every week until you start seeing your weight start to come up. Then keep it at that level until you plateau for 2 weeks. When that happens add another 200kcal and see if you start gaining. You can keep going like that until you hit your desired weight.

Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    The calorie counters can give you a general estimate of where to start. If I were you I would track my calorie intake for a week to see how many I'm taking in. Add 100-200kcal every week until you start seeing your weight start to come up. Then keep it at that level until you plateau for 2 weeks. When that happens add another 200kcal and see if you start gaining. You can keep going like that until you hit your desired weight.
    Thank you, that was very helpful!

I also use Cronometer, I find it's the best calorie tracker of the bunch. The edit option where taking the already placed food and editing it for a new brand will still retain all the additional vitamins and nutrients in it which is cool.

As for following calories, like John, I am very skeptical of it. 2000 calories of coke and cheezies will not have the same effect on your system as 2000 calories of chicken and vegetables. When trying to gain weight, you need to stimulate the actual anabolic hormone, Insulin.

To do that and stick to primal/paleo as close as possible would be full fat dairy (whole milk), potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice, and oatmeal.

My advice would be, keep those above insulin spiking foods to after your workouts, don't worry about your calories, eat regularly throughout the day, and never starve yourself. In fact I would challenge you to actually slightly overeat on the days your training meaning eat beyond what you think you can handle.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by vb66 View Post
    +1

I would also make sure you're getting enough protein. Everyone has different opinions on what this amount is, but the general bodybuilding lore is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (2.2 g/kg of BW), and this has worked well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum