Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you wash fruits you have to peel to eat?

Do you wash fruits you have to peel to eat?

Shop Now
    Do you wash fruits with thick skins you peel off

Banana, Avocado, Lemons, Limes, Oranges. Do you need to wash these before consuming them? I dont eat the peel/skin obviously but. Any reason to wash them before peeling? Pesticides, etc...
    Last edited by Anopsmoves; 11-16-2015 at 12:41 PM.

No...I certainly don't.

Depending on the fruit/veg, I give them a quick rinse. This is because the knife going through the skin of avocado may carry bacteria from the hands of the person who packed my veggie box. I usually don't fuss with bananas, oranges, etc.

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by theminimalistcommunity View Post
    Depending on the fruit/veg, I give them a quick rinse. This is because the knife going through the skin of avocado may carry bacteria from the hands of the person who packed my veggie box. I usually don't fuss with bananas, oranges, etc.
    +1

I actually use a little mild soap and warm water on anything I am going to cut with a knife, especially melons. But I am an immuno-compromised mildly germophobic person.

“Probably 100 people handled that banana before you did,” says Ann Zander, a food safety expert with the Colorado State University Extension in Longmont, Colo. “If you have somebody who hasn’t washed his hands after the bathroom or has the flu, that’s all over it.”

http://napavalleyregister.com/lifest...f89ce6b27.html

Quote Originally Posted by theminimalistcommunity View Post
    the skin from the bananas and oranges? whatever was on them is now on your hands whens you peeled them! whats the difference?

Honestly washing fruits and vegetables always confused me.. Never really knew what I was doing. A quick rinse and a paper towel dry is all anyone every does that I have seen.
    Last edited by Anopsmoves; 11-16-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    “Probably 100 people handled that banana before you did,” says Ann Zander, a food safety expert with the Colorado State University Extension in Longmont, Colo. “If you have somebody who hasn’t washed his hands after the bathroom or has the flu, that’s all over it.”

Wash your bananas (and other lessons in cleaning produce)
    from your link:

At the other end, the Washington-based advocacy group says onions, avocados, sweet corn, pineapples, mango, asparagus, sweet peas, kiwi, bananas, cabbage, broccoli and papaya had the least residue, if any..
    bacteria that cause food poisoning do not live long without a hospitable host. banana peels and avocado skins are decidedly not hospitable.

no, i do not wash avocados. that being said, i gave myself food poisoning from not washing cilantro.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    from your link:

bacteria that cause food poisoning do not live long without a hospitable host. banana peels and avocado skins are decidedly not hospitable.

no, i do not wash avocados. that being said, i gave myself food poisoning from not washing cilantro.
    Ive honestly never heard of a single person washing, bananas, avocados or citrus.

Now Cilantro I totally understand..... although.. Ive purchased plenty of cilantro that was... "pre washed"

Shop Now
    Well, I will wash citrus when I use the skin.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.