Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass fed chickens... page

Douaron1 Guest

Primal Fuel

I've heard of grass fed beef, bison, etc...

What would be ideal for chickens / eggs?

I am guessing grass and this could also greatly affect the Omega 3 content of the eggs, meat and fat.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

I don't think chickens eat grass...

danid14 Guest

You want to look for "pastured chickens/eggs"--they eat grubs in the ground.

Douaron1 Guest

What is your take on 'grain fed' chickens? Not ideal, but is it that bad?

Is pastured that much of a difference?

sofiawahaj Guest

I want to know what "vegetarian fed" means? I see the label on lots of meat products. It seems kinda "duh" - don't all animals eat "vegetarian" grass or grains? Or do most farms feed "meat" to their animals? I don't get it.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

Sofia,

Mad cow disease came from grain mixed with some ground up parts of cow in the feed. Vegetarian fed only means the absence of that. They're still fed grain and not grass.

PS.

Chickens do not eat grass.

Mick Guest

[quote]

What is your take on 'grain fed' chickens? Not ideal, but is it that bad?

Is pastured that much of a difference?
    </blockquote>

If they&#39;re fed a lot of grain, the balance between omega 6 and omega 3 in the eggs isn&#39;t good, as you guessed earlier. I&#39;ve seen that instead of being about 1:1 it can be up to 19:1.

They do need those insects. (In fact, it&#39;s been said that even animals like cows that you don&#39;t think of as eating other than grass do take in some insects with it and probably benefit from that.)

The meat tastes better if they can have a more varied and natural diet and can run around a bit. In blind tests it has been found that some people prefer the flesh from the intensively reared birds, however - they&#39;ve just got used to a softer texture and a more bland taste in their meat.

Besides, the conditions of chickens that aren&#39;t allowed plenty of access to open ground can be inhumane. A TV company has a couple of galleries comparing the lives of chickens. Here&#39;s the one on intensively reared ones:

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/the-big-food-fight/intensive-chicken-gallery_p_4.html

EDIT:

I guess there&#39;s a problem from the point of view of the "primal" diet. Intensive-rearing is, of course, done to keep the price down. Sellers want maximum profit. And, of course, the ordinary person wants cheap produce but probably wouldn&#39;t want to think of farm animals in conditions that are inhumane (and injurious to the nutritional value of the meat). But out of sight, out of mind.

The solution that&#39;s often offered to people when they&#39;re told about the problem is to say, "Eat better meat but less of it." That chimes in OK with the current low-fat semi-vegetarian diets, but it&#39;s not particularly "primal". You&#39;ve not only got the price vs. quality dilemma, but you&#39;ve got to triangulate in "Have I got enough first-class protein/animal fat in the diet?"

I think if I had the room I&#39;d probably keep chickens. It&#39;s another of those things everyone used to do - even some town-dwellers.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

My chickens love bugs and have free-range of my place during the day. We close them up at night in their coop to protect them from foxes. I supplement their diet with bird seed. I do not buy commercial chicken feed because it is mostly wheat and they waste too much of it. It is the last thing they will eat if they have other choices. They are not adverse to eating leftover meats and they love veggies and fruits too. Pretty primal animal, all in all. I&#39;ve seen them capture a baby snake and have quite a fight over who gets to eat it. Their egg yolks are a beautiful orange - not the pale yellow you get with store-bought eggs, even so-called free-range or organic eggs. And the taste is so much better. I keep two hens and a rooster. One hen is sitting on 4 eggs right now and I am hoping for more hens!

Popa Murph Guest

X2

Chickens love bugs, and eggs from your own free range chickens taste 10x better than any store bought ones.

Side note,

There&#39;s guy that sells free range eggs from his farm at our local farmers market. They are fantastic and he charges less than what I would pay for organic ones from the store.

glorth2 is offline Senior Member

@Mick: Eat meat, buy less "stuff".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast