Thread: Primal Journal Healthydlm (VSG)

Primal Journal Healthydlm (VSG)

Shop Now
    After losing 100+ pounds three times in the past four decades and regaining it and then some ALL four times, I was close to 300 pounds and facing two total knee replacements. I knew I could take the weight off, but I had no idea how to keep it off. After much research, I decided on bariatric surgery... a VSG. I started a lean and green eating plan in January 2015 and lost 53 pounds prior to surgery in late May. I had a major hernia repair at the same time as surgery and ended up with an extremely swollen and reactive esophagus. I was unable to swallow anything... even saliva, and ended up on a PICC line. Within a week, I developed a DVT along the line, and had the PICC removed.
    Fast forward five months. I had lost a total of 100+ pounds and could see my goal. I started working on my maintenance plan. There is a lot out there about losing weight but almost nothing about maintaining a healthy life style. My body was loving my protein forward food plan and increased physical activity. I had already figured out that sugar and simple carbs are poison for me. Between my pre-surgery food plan and the rigid post-surgery plan, I had almost 10 months of solid detox under my belt. My research led me to Dr. Barbara Berkeley's book "Refuse to Regain: 12 Tough Rules for Maintaining /Weight Loss". That led me to the Primal Blueprint. The rest is history.
    Living a primal lifestyle is a no brainer for me. If I had found this information prior to having bariatric surgery, would I have had the surgery ? Well, the cow's out of that barn. Now, I just have to identify any adjustments I will need to make as a cavewoman with a tiny stomach !

Shop Now
    Checking back in a month later. Primal living is truly supporting my transition into maintenance. I have seen a major impact on my approach to cardio. I swim roughly a mile, three times a week. After reading The Primal Blueprint, I began to investigate music with BPM (beats per minute) that represented a combination of easy, moderate and sprinting paces. I loaded the playlist onto my waterproof iPod, and it has been a total transformation of my swimming experience ! Swimming is now about meditation and appreciating the synergy of my body, the music, and the water. No more counting laps, and driving for speed. I couldn't be happier !!!