Thread: Coconut

Coconut

Shop Now
    Has anyone been following this recent critique of coconuts?
    http://m.nydailynews.com/life-style/...icle-1.2129238
    I sometimes drink coconut water at $3 for approx 20 oz but don't partake of coconut latte.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Lol...."NY daily news"? No I don't follow. And after reading this I suggest nobody should! First they tout the since disposed theory that saturated fat is bad. So off on the wrong foot (the scientific illiterate one), citing only the center for whatever's response about movie theatre popcorn from 20 years ago! Yah, let's break out those mixed tapes of that press release! Next they simply point out coconut contains calories......well no shit! Last is a bit about coconut sugar....yah sugar is sugar. Same goes for an apple, orange, pumpkin....and even their beloved quino lol. Mineral content and how your body uses it DOES matter though, regardless how they try to gloss over it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-14-2015 at 06:29 AM.

Interesting article, but absolute rubbish.

Do a Google search for the word ketogenic, and pair is with any other disease. The path to health is a high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate diet, and coconut oil should be the cornerstone of any ketogenic diet.

The Casrbohydrate Lobby is 150% the size of the defense industry. They have been running interference on nutritional research since the 1940's, when the USDA discovered that carbohydrates is how to pack on the pounds. Back in 1945, when the boys were all coming back from WW II, they were trying to figure out how to fatten beef up really fast. They fed them high fat foods, like sunflower seeds and anything else that was loaded with fat. The cattle got thinner! So they tried feeding them grains: corn and wheat, nice cheap starchy foods, and the cattle blew up like balloons.

So your coconut water is pure carbs. No nutritional value worth speaking of.

I have been on a ketogenic diet since 1996, and I am writing a series of Rescue books. They are going to be very brief. Explain biological essentials about how we digest food, and how it produces energy. The first one is the super-athlete's lifestyle (because our diet is part of our lifestyle), the second book is for people who are more sedentary, but want to improve their health dramatically without having people pointing at them and telling them they have been bad (lots of very judgmental people out there, and they aren't helping at all), and the third book is how to improve brain function, which is for Google pogrammers and older people who are becoming forgetful.

I am planning to counter garbage sneering articles like this one with real nutritional science, which has ballooned in the past decade. The main reason? All European countries are facing an obesity epidemic, and their Governments provide free health care. It osts more than $1,400 a year to provide services to an obese person compared to people of normal weight.

And the dams are breaking. The British Medical Journal just kicked the USDA board to the kerb for being unscientific. But that's no wonder. The board is made up of Carbohydrate Lobby and Big Pharma people, and they are terrified of the latest research, which threatens them both.

Read this article from the BMJ, and then post it to Facebook. LOL
    The scientific report guiding the US dietary guidelines: is it scientific? | The BMJ

I like how they list calories as something bad. Clearly we should all just avoid calories and starve to death.

Starbucks coconut milk isn't actually coconut milk, either - it's a coconut-based beverage. There was a mild controversy (in these circles) when it came out. I had hoped to switch from heavy cream to coconut milk for my coffee there, but had to decide against it.

Ingredients: Water, coconut cream, cane sugar, tricalcium phosphate, coconut water concentrate, natural flavors, sea salt, carrageenan, gellan gum, corn dextrin, xanthan gum, guar gum, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin d2.

So your coconut water is pure carbs. No nutritional value worth speaking of.
    Coconut water does have significant amounts of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and other minerals.

the author of that article should read about the Tokelau migration study:

Whole Health Source: The Tokelau Island Migrant Study: Background and Overview

Basically these people only ate fish and coconuts (about 70% of their diets were from coconut). The population had no disease, zilch, zero, not until some migrated off the island to new zealand. Once there they adopted a more western diet, then they started getting things like diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc..

One day (luckily for them), a ship carrying all that western food to new zealand ran aground cutting off their supply to the western garbage. These migrants went back to their old diets of fish and coconuts, and miraculously, all their diseases vanished. Once more western food got to New Zealand again, the migrants continued as status quo, got fatter, and the diseases came back.

What makes me wonder about articles like the NY Daily news ignore actual studies? I mean, as a reader, what would you find more interesting? An article that says coconuts are bad for you, or an article about how an entire population had no diseases native to western civilization? I may be biased but I personally would be more curious as to how an entire population was disease free.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardhg View Post

Read this article from the BMJ, and then post it to Facebook. LOL
    The scientific report guiding the US dietary guidelines: is it scientific? | The BMJ
    Wow....US guidelines got schooled!