Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: DHEA-S? Almost none.

DHEA-S? Almost none.

Shop Now
    Hi all,
    as you might know from the low estrogen thread, I did some bloodwork. Basically cholesterol (HDL 79, as far as I understand the numbers this is pretty low?) and hormones are okay, but DHEA-S is loooow. Why? What to do? Help! Connection between cholesterol and DHEA?
    I am going crazy :/
    Last edited by gergirl; 11-12-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gergirl View Post
    Hi all,
    as you might know from the low estrogen thread, I did some bloodwork. Basically cholesterol (HDL 79, as far as I understand the numbers this is pretty low?) and hormones are okay, but DHEA-S is loooow. Why? What to do? Help! Connection between cholesterol and DHEA?
    I am going crazy :/
    Hi! If total cholesterol is 79 that is very low, but an HDL reading of 79 is excellent! Anything above 60 is great.

DHEA is one hormone we measure to assess adrenal function. Yours being low does indicate some level of adrenal fatigue is likely. I would order a salivary adrenal stress index test to get specimens throughout the day along with cortisol to determine pattern. Something such as this https://www.directlabs.com/mobile/Te...spx?testid=499 With this we could prepare and implement a treatment protocol.

As to connections. HPA axis directly influences HPT axis.....I.e. Adrenals influence thyroid hormone which in turn can influence cholesterol. I've had patients drastically reduce or get off thyroid meds once adrenal fatigue was adressed.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 11-13-2015 at 06:18 AM.

Shop Now
    Thank you for the answer. Next week some other things, like D3 and B12, will be tested. I can ask the next doc (friend of mine, do not have to pay) for his advice.
    Oh...phu.