Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eating out page

optimumhealth is offline Junior Member

eating out

Primal Fuel
    I try to eat everything that I can organic/chemical-free especially when it comes to meats and some veggies like greens (for obvious reasons), so eating out is not optimal. I know I have somewhat irrational tendencies for refusing to eat at restaurants with friends and family. I have a hard time bringing myself to order foods that I see as wreaking havoc in my body.

How often do you eat out, and what do you typically order?

Robeil is offline Senior Member
    I eat out often with family and friends and order salad and a protein... that's all, I go for the company... If you're worried about the chemicals in food in a restaurant eat before going and just have a salad or a glass of water or coffee...

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I think the need to socialize and spend time with people should outweigh the avoidance of a single meal not being organic or just right. Eat protein and veggies, you can eat beforehand and go small like an appetizer or side salad, or relax and have a full meal.

There are quite a few restaurants now that serve local, organic, and more custom foods. You could find a few, check them out, and then invite your friends to join your for a meal there instead. You could also propose say a picnic or a BBQ and bring your own food.

I do agree, eating out can be a pain, but we still do it at least once a week. My husband and I really enjoy getting out of the house and sitting for an hour or two to chat over a meal that I did not have to prepare at least once that week. Sometimes we stretch the boundaries a bit on the food we eat (one place has a gluten free dessert I love, he likes sushi rice kind of thing), sometimes we don't (steak and salads). But I think it is important to relax and not become worried about being perfect when it comes to primal or organic and such. Weigh the benefits and negatives of any situation, and go for the best reasons. If socializing with friends is a strong positive, then it should outweigh a salad with a few unknowns

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I think the need to socialize and spend time with people should outweigh the avoidance of a single meal not being organic or just right. Eat protein and veggies, you can eat beforehand and go small like an appetizer or side salad, or relax and have a full meal.
    ITA. I have some weird food things too and can't eat in the diners that my dh looooves to frequent.

But I do eat out with friends and set aside my concerns for the sake of enjoying the company.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Marisa is offline Senior Member
    I ate out a 2 times last time while road tripping in CA - In-N-Out (hamburger, no bun or sauces) and a Lebanese restaurant (chicken veggies kebabs over salad). Needless to say it was very difficult and frustrating finding food sometimes - we went to the Portland Farmers Market and while local fresh veggies, fruit and raw meat were being sold, all the prepared foods were tamales, pizza, hoagies and soup. Many of our meals were cooked with a camping stove and supplies from groceries.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I eat out pretty often, and I just try to make good choices with whats available and vote to avoid restaurants with just pasta / pizza or whatever. I definitely think it's healthier to socialize and enjoy my life even at the expense of eating a bit of rice and corn oil once in a while, as opposed to sitting alone with my grassfed steak and veg every night. And I'm pretty sure Mark would agree btw.
    It's easier in a major city of course, and I don't really have the serious food issues that a lot of people here have, so I guess I'm lucky in that way.

Harry Guest
    I don't eat out nearly as often as I would like. Maybe only a couple times a month. When I do, I take my best shot and enjoy the food. I'm not having a dry salad and a plain chicken breast. i eat something tasty and don't worry about it.

mosin46 is offline Senior Member
    it can be done. e.g. outback-seared tuna appetizer,1/4 lettuce salad. haven't done it yet,but,olive garden has a low carb menu. most places a steak,pork chop,grilled chicken,salad will work without a bunch of compromise. unfortuately my favorites,cuban and indian,are tough to do.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    It's easier to eat primally at higher end restaurants, in my experience. Quality salads, big slab of meat. Yum!
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

MGV
    MGV is offline Junior Member
    I almost always order the Greek salad with the char broiled chicken on top. It's fantastic!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast