Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to convince my family members? page

grokka is offline Senior Member

How to convince my family members?

I've gotten my mom to switch from fat free half and half (skim milk and corn syrup!) to 2 percent, but shes still afraid of fat! How do I convince her, and friends and family, that it's good for you? I can back it all up with science, but then they just zone out. arghh, it's frustrating watching them poision themselves!

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    Live the upright life yourself and when they ask how you're doing so well, then tell them.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    If someone is voluntarily grain fed like an imprisoned unhealthy steer, then advising high fat is not helpful. Your persistent consistent loving example, more action than words, more concern for personal health than the health of others, is likely the best way to convince family members. Three months ago, I was ridiculed by a desperate and fat sister who today called me at 6am for advice on how to get started. I stopped trying to convince her two weeks into going primal. I just gave her emotionally detached tidbits of data here and there. This is a soft sell for family. They like to do their own research at their own pace, or just go on blindly. You cannot save them all.

hmmm. primal needs to go mainstream!

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grokka View Post
    hmmm. primal needs to go mainstream!
    I say we keep it a secret or the prices for good food will go up.

haha yes. But if enough people don't buy corn/wheat/soy, more land for grass fed beef!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Them seeing you rippped at the beach will help

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    ... but shes still afraid of fat! How do I convince her, and friends and family, that it's good for you? I can back it all up with science, but then they just zone out.
    It's a tough one.

They do say a picture is worth a thousand words. One approach might be to print a large colour picture of some Maasai Moran from the old days - like this one:

http://www.safarigifts.com/shopcart/...nfo/maasai.jpg

Tell people those young men lived on meat and blood and milk, and that was it. They drunk around a gallon of high-fat milk a day (milk with a higher fat content than the "full-cream milk" you can buy in any supermarket).

Ask people have they even seen a fat Maasai? Let them see the picture and think about it. Those men are rail-thin. In fact, you might even say they were too gracile. Weston Price commented that while the Nuer cattle herders were very tall (anything up to 7 foot tall, I think) with excellent teeth and good health, the Dinka, who subsisted on fish and millet porridge were almost as tall but better built and stronger.

So far as the science goes you could just say something very brief - something like some scientists made a mistake and thought fat was a problem. it's not and all known healthy pre-modern populations ate far more of it than we do.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    I'd say results are your best bet. I was living with my parents when I stumbled upon the PB, and they initially thought I was crazy and going to starve without "starches." Pretty soon the objections faded, and my mom in particular has gone from "you're so skinny" to "I bought a bunch of bulk bacon, take some," to buying grassfed beef steaks every chance she gets. It didn't take preaching, just the obvious changes in my health and body composition. My parents are curious folks though, so I would explain the rationale behind everything when they expressed interest.

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LX View Post
    Live the upright life yourself and when they ask how you're doing so well, then tell them.
    Perfect!

haha yes. But if enough people don't buy corn/wheat/soy, more land for grass fed beef!
    So true!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast