Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unhealthy food immediately after a workout page

p.grant is offline Junior Member

Question Unhealthy food immediately after a workout

Shop Now
    I've read that the body directs the glucose from carbohydrate-heavy food into muscle stores, if the food is taken immediately following an intense bout of physical exertion.

So suppose I go and knock out a 15-minute session of high-intensity interval training, or maybe 40 minutes of hardcore strength training.

Would the first 30 minutes after this exertion be the best time to eat my favorite dessert? I have a weakness for lemon meringue pie. If I eat a slice under these circumstances, is some or most of the damage offset?

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    mmmmm sugar. barf.

Don't kid yourself. If Grok found a Dairy Queen in the middle of the forest he'd live there. The state of the average person's health is today is what happened when Grok discovered Dairy Queen.

That being said does anyone have a relevant answer?

Quote Originally Posted by p.grant View Post
    Don't kid yourself. If Grok found a Dairy Queen in the middle of the forest he'd live there. The state of the average person's health is today is what happened when Grok discovered Dairy Queen.

That being said does anyone have a relevant answer?
    I am smarter than grok, thats why i dont go to Dairy Queen

enjoy your pie though!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by p.grant View Post
    I've read that the body directs the glucose from carbohydrate-heavy food into muscle stores, if the food is taken immediately following an intense bout of physical exertion.

So suppose I go and knock out a 15-minute session of high-intensity interval training, or maybe 40 minutes of hardcore strength training.

Would the first 30 minutes after this exertion be the best time to eat my favorite dessert? I have a weakness for lemon meringue pie. If I eat a slice under these circumstances, is some or most of the damage offset?
    In this case the sugar is not really the problem. The problem is all the other shit commonly found in desserts. Trans fats, vegetable oils, etc. Now if you can make your own home made dessert with primal ingredients, then have at it.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Last edited by lmyers04; 07-20-2010 at 11:56 AM.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    sugar. cancer cells love the stuff.
    .... I'm pretty sure he doesn't have cancer.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    .... I'm pretty sure he doesn't have cancer.
    newsflash. we all have cancer cells in our body.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    A lot of successful bodybuilders do indulge in sweets after their workouts from time to time. But they work out every day for extended periods. They're burning a lot of energy. Also, indulging in sweets is such a slippery slope. It's not much of a leap to go from a piece of pie after one of my two weekly sprint sessions to thinking, "Whew, that was a nice long walk. Better replace my glycogen stores, just in case."

If that is to be your only indulgence, it probably won't matter too much. Eat it if you want. But ideally, if you want sweets, you should go with a fruit salad or something, mostly for the reasons rphlslv mentioned.

I'm 26 and in excellent physical condition. However I do scratch the pie itch a couple times a year. I'm a pretty good cook, too. I would bake it myself, probably mixing in quinoa or almond flour so it's not 100% white flour, but there is no getting around the sugar, except to use moderately less of it than most recipes call for. The point is, if the muscles have immediate need for the glucose, that's where the converted sugar goes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast